Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I repack the sail panel with putty?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'm nearly finished with my first rusty sail panel and now I'm worndering if I should pack it full of putty again. I spent so much time digging out the stuff to expose the rust behind the panel and door handle pocket. Now I've finished welding on a replacement panel. I'm pretty sure I want to coat the inners with POR. I know the wheel is going to throw water up there, cause I live in the NW and I got to take it out in the rain soner or later. What are my options?
914werke
Just say NO!
Treat it as well as possible but dont put that stuff back.
Your better off being able to shoot water up there to clean
out and dirt and let it air dry than risk trapping moisture to
Rot it again.

R.
Bleyseng
Hi, Billy.

When are you coming to a Teener Tuesday???? thumb3d.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 26 2006, 08:31 PM) *

Hi, Billy.

When are you coming to a Teener Tuesday???? thumb3d.gif

I get off work early, work on the car for a few hours, work out for an hour at the pool and fall asleep! That's my life for now. Maybe when I get the car back on the road, I'll have some evening again. Oh, yah, then I'm starting a project to modify a 74 Challenger. Anybody got an extra Viper engine in the shop they want to sell?
GWN7
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 26 2006, 07:46 PM) *

I'm nearly finished with my first rusty sail panel and now I'm worndering if I should pack it full of putty again. I spent so much time digging out the stuff to expose the rust behind the panel and door handle pocket. Now I've finished welding on a replacement panel. I'm pretty sure I want to coat the inners with POR. I know the wheel is going to throw water up there, cause I live in the NW and I got to take it out in the rain soner or later. What are my options?

NO

Por 15 and then some nice shiny paint that matches the rest of the car.
bd1308
How did you think the water got trapped up in there in the first place?

b
marks914
If you dont want to weld,
clean the backside, rough up and apply some por-15.
rough that up and back up the holes with 1/4 inch of duraglass.
Finish from the a-side as usual
Mark
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 26 2006, 07:58 PM) *

Just say NO!
Treat it as well as possible but dont put that stuff back.
Your better off being able to shoot water up there to clean
out and dirt and let it air dry than risk trapping moisture to
Rot it again.

agree.gif as long as you check that area once a year or so, you'll be *much* better off without that moisture trap ...

smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.