Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
So I'm replacing my engine with another used one and it came with the original harness. As I compared it to my old one, I noticed my old one had quite a few snipped wires on it. So now I'm trying to decide if I need these wires back or not.

So, at the alternator there is the 3 prong harness and one large wire. On my old harness the large single wire has been removed leaving me with just the three prong harness. Where is this single wire supposed to go? Isn't that the wire that would carry charge back to my battery? blink.gif

Two wire sets go to the starter area, one has the reverse light wires and the small gauge wire to the starter solenoid. I'm okay there. The other set has two large gauge wires in it. One goes to the starter and the other one is snipped. Where is that wire supposed to go?

My car did have the hot start "fix" installed, I removed it since I'm adding a mini-starter with this engine/trans replacement. I'm not sure if this kit install has anything to do with the snipped wires.

The further I dig, the more problems I find. It seems like the PO paid $8k to his mechanic to ruin this car.... and I have the receipts to prove it!! dead horse.gif
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

you got me all confuzzled, a few pics would help ...
blink.gif Andy
Spoke
[quote name='LowGT' date='Aug 27 2006, 02:12 AM' post='760911']
One goes to the starter and the other one is snipped. Where is that wire supposed to go?

There are only 4 stock wires. 2 small guage wires go to the reverse switch and 1 larger wire goes to the solenoid. These 3 are together as you note. Then there is the one heavy wire going from the battery positive terminal to the starter.

Please trace the other snipped wire back to its origin. It might be a ground wire from the battery and may have been installed by the PO.

Spoke
LowGT
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 27 2006, 06:51 AM) *

There are only 4 stock wires. 2 small guage wires go to the reverse switch and 1 larger wire goes to the solenoid. These 3 are together as you note. Then there is the one heavy wire going from the battery positive terminal to the starter.

Please trace the other snipped wire back to its origin. It might be a ground wire from the battery and may have been installed by the PO.

Spoke

Interesting, the PO ran a seperate thick cable from the battery to the starter. The stock thick wire is still attached to the same bolt on the starter. I'll trace it and figure out where it goes, but it will have to wait until the sun goes down. It's hot. cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.