Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: holes in the exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ziggy101
i got a repair kit from kragens, because i have a few small holes....has anyone ever used one of these before? do they work? thanks
pfierb
QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Aug 27 2006, 02:26 AM) *

i got a repair kit from kragens, because i have a few small holes....has anyone ever used one of these before? do they work? thanks

What is a repair kit for holes in the exhaust?
bd1308
the muffler repair kit?

Is it the plastic wrap stuff with the steel wire?

that one DOES NOT work, exhaust gas shoots from the holes and melts the plastic, and then ALL of it burns off and it smells like stromberg.gif

Get the holes welded IMHO, muffler shop does them good.

Had MANY issues repaired on my Jeep.

b
pfierb
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 27 2006, 09:25 AM) *

the muffler repair kit?

Is it the plastic wrap stuff with the steel wire?

that one DOES NOT work, exhaust gas shoots from the holes and melts the plastic, and then ALL of it burns off and it smells like stromberg.gif

Get the holes welded IMHO, muffler shop does them good.

Had MANY issues repaired on my Jeep.

b

Usually when there are holes in the exhaust pipes or muffler welding and patch kits are just a stop gap solution as the rest of the system isn't long for this world.....I agree with you that those patch kits are pure crap.
bd1308
Again, the local muffler shop (now closed) which was close to me charged a whole ten dollars to weld up what needed to be welded. Some bracket that held the muffler on kept on braking off and taking part of the muffler with it--leaving a huge hole.

Got THAT fixed two times over two years.

914s are easier to fix wink.gif

b
jsteele22

I used one of those kits and it worked fine. For like a week. Don't waste your money. My teener had a hole in the muffler from hitting something (PO, of course). I had it brazed, and now its fine. Brazing is a little different than welding - you don't actually melt the muffler material at all, just warm it up some; the brazing rod melts at a lower temp and fills in the holes. But I agree that if you take it to a muffler shop, they'll be able to get you fixed up.
ziggy101
well the only problem with welding, is that all of the pipes are quite RUSTY...i have been welding for a few years, but see a problam with perhaps trying to weld a very rusted part.....
Brando
Best fix for that is a new exhaust system/muffler. Those patch kits ultimately fail and aren't worth the cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.