Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal and restoration of Targa seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I need to remove my Targa Seal and would like to not tear it up in the process. I searched and I can’t seem to find any previous threads that go into it more than just a very short description. A “How To” with photos would be great. I would say that mine is in average condition, but would really like to try to save it.

Also, once removed, is there any recommended ways to preserve the rubber seals? Ways to clean? Anything thing to help restore them (soaking in anything?) Previous owners attempt to paint the car himself resulted in some overspray on some seals. Any suggested ways to remove this overspray without damaging seals?
newto914s
Not sure if these will help, but maybe

Pelican Tech 1
Pelican tech 2
Good Luck
Porsche Rescue
I remove overspary from rubber with fine steel wool and lacquer thinner. You can follow up with some sort of rubber dressing/conditioner or glycerin. I usually don't bother however.
WRX914
Everything I have read points in the direction of treating your seals as if they were a wetsuit. I hear, you can repair a tear with a wet suit repair kit. I also know that there are conditioners for wetsuits. That is what I would use...

Richard Casto
Thanks for all of the tips. While the forum was down I browsed through all of my stuff and found my factory manual (PDFs). I may look in those to see if they detail it at all. If I can't find any existing photo "how to", I may try to do one myself. I am afraid I will get to about step 4 and then my photos will show a torn up seal and me crying. biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
I worked on removing one with a helper at my local porsche salvage yard. Because the factory often crimps the aluminum trim down on the rubber seal, the seal can really be pinched in there. The crimps, I forgot what the proper name is, are on the inside of the windshield pillar, not visible. Use dish soap to lube up the seal for both removal and especially instalation. I wish I could say I knew an easy trick to get it off intact. We ended up prying the trim off the car, and I bought that too, just to keep the seal from tearing at the corners! With some careful prying, you could probably get the seal out without destroying the trim, but the trim is cheap and that seal is not. I used some seal reconditioner from Wurth, but it is probably the same as neoprene care stuff for wetsuits. Good luck! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.