Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing new guages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ziggy101
so im getting three new guages ( engine temp, oil pressure, and somethin else i havent decided...ill find out today wen i get to the shop.maybe battery voltage) but anyhow, they are going to go on the center console, on one of those little brackets that hold three guages...is it complicated to install these? id probably have to run new wires, so would i just follow the original harness under the chassis? thanks.
grasshopper
what year is your car?? Some harnesses have the wires built in to install the center console. Should not be to hard either way.
ziggy101
umm its a 73...and the guages i got, were temp. voltage (which i can do) and oil pressure...the oil pressure and temp are weird tho, because the oil pressure gauge has a tube on it thats supposed to go to the block??????? and the temperature guage has a sensor that isnt long enough to go behind the car from the center...im confused, and instructions arent that great for telling how to install in a mid engine vehicle
bd1308
NONE of the stock guages were mechanical, nor did any of them require any real effort to plug in.

Simple Plug and play. You need the real guages.

b
McMark
You should ditch the mechanical oil pressure guage and get an electronic version for ease of installation. There is a wire in the center console/center tunnel for the oil temp sender. I believe the wire is green with a black stripe. Use the wire as is, but the sender on the motor may have to be swapped for a different unit. The pressure sender is a large canister that will not fit well in the stock location. You need a hydralic hose (brake hose) that will thread into the block and allow you to mount the sender in a remote location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.