Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Cars....What color trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
Well as the topic says, I am thinking what to do on my upcoming black paint job. I like the all blacked out looking scheme but that would mean the window frame, mirrors, sail pieces everything....What worries me is the seal on the top will eventually rub the paint off the chrome strips and look like crap and I would suspect other items like the mirrors will get rock chips and really show up worse.....

Thoughts?
AZ914
I personally really like black cars with the chrome bumpers and trim. I think it looks more period correct than an all blacked out car.
gopack
am going all black with the possible exception of the channel that holds the triangular window on the door, the door handles and the wheel rims.. I took care of the targa trim by cutting off the flange and seam welding the entire trailing edge of the targa. I am also doing something a littel custom for the mirrors ( I hope) in black!
I know the bright trim is period correct, but there is something scary mean about an all black car!!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Mine is all black,window trim, sale panel trim, every thing but triangular window trim.,side mirrors. I am trying to add some chrome for contrast, cowl vent, 914& 2.0 on trunk face. I am trying to get Porsche in chrome for the other side of the trunk face. I am even thinking about chrome or powdering coating the engine cover mesh. Dave slap.gif
alpha434
He wants ideas, guys...

Take the trim, strip the chrome off, and powdercoat or anodize it black rather than paint. The color won't rub off.
STL914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 27 2006, 10:43 AM) *

I personally really like black cars with the chrome bumpers and trim. I think it looks more period correct than an all blacked out car.

agree.gif

I think the chrome trim will be a nice contrast to the black paint. I'm having my car painted a very dark Jaguar Racing Green and adding the chrome targa trim, OEM mirrors, chrome fog light grills and a set of highly polished wheels just to have some contrast on the car. When I have my bumpers rechromed, they will replace the JRG painted bumpers.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 27 2006, 11:43 AM) *

My 72 came from the factory without vinyl on the targa bar. The trim is painted

the same color as the body. What years came from the factory without vinyl but

with the trim chromed?

I like the trim the same color as the body but it does look cool with a taste of

chrome, just not the piece at the bottem of the sail. IMHO.
Chris Pincetich
Black and chrome - all other choices are for wussies.
poke.gif
Shiny chrome trim rules. More the better.
I want a chromed engine grille next, with black PORSCHE letters. Don't copy me! biggrin.gif
Just saw some "chrome lettered" rockers on Jow Sharps car this weekend. Pretty sharp NARP beerchug.gif
JPB
I worked in the sigh business for a few years and have seen some cool chrome vinyl and it is a good thing to have if ya wanna do the bling thing. I say, all the chrome stuff ya have needs to be painted flat black in bed liner spray. It will transform your car into a retro biotch from hell and look ultra modern! Every piece you paint will look like plastic and flat which will look awsome. Think RETRO.

beer.gif I knows my schmit biotch.
anthony
Black and chrome is awesome IMO:

WRX914
If I kept my car the original black color, I would definately have kept the chrome. I believe the car needs some contrast, but that is just my opinion...

btw, I did not have to remove the chrome to powdercoat my trim pieces. Powdercoating is magnetic, and sticks to everything polar opposite to the powder. Maybe I am wrong, but my powdercoating looks fab right over the chrome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.