Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Biggest engine i can install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
well , seeing as how ive come to the decision to do my engine myself to get it right, whats the biggest engine i can install without having to undergo major mods?

I'm considering a 2.7 from a 911 but i really dont want to have to have the car down for major frame/engine bay modifications to wedge it in in place of the 1.7 thats living there now.

i know a 1.8 and a 2.0 will both go in but i'd rather have a bit more power heheh
grasshopper
you can fit any 911 engine in a 914 without any "major" modifications. If you want even more power, you could put a V8 in, without any major mod's either.
JPB
Look! You are ready to spend some real cash brother and your ready for some good advice. Wanna tear up some roads? Wanna show them ricers what you are made of? Go straight to Jake Raby period!!! Don't even flintch. Your gonna pay no matter what so put it all on an engine and not on adapter plates, tranys ect.. Get a hot type4 and lead the pack!!! He will take your engine and give it a shot of pricaciline like it never could of had until HE haden't touched it! Light weight power is knocking at your door brother. Don't delay PM the man now!

:beer1:Think Hp to weight ratios. You can always go with a 930 trany and a V8 700HP engine but it will only be good for straight lines. Wooohooo, cheap thrills.
lincoln
[yup, i would love to get a Raby motor, thing is by doing it myself i can do a piece at a time as money allows and time permits , if i come across a huge chunk of money tho, yea the raby is what i'll go with cuz one thing you cant really buy, is a solid rep for makin things go fast.
JPB
Yes!! Good deal and ya won't be dissapointed. There was a thread on how much fun it was to rip around with a 1,8L and that was from dudes who had upgraded to 6s and 8ts. These cars become cumbersome with all the extra weight and suspension upgrades. Its best to go light, tight and right bro!!

beer.gif Lemeno how it goes.
anthony
If you can afford a 2.7L six conversion you can afford a Raby kit motor.

Any four to six or four to other motor IMO will be a good sized project. The 911 six swap is a little easier than the Suburu and V8 conversions because you can buy off the shelf parts. Beware - those parts will run you $4000+. You can shave that down to maybe $2000-3000 by getting deals on used parts and doing some fabrication work on your own.

As previously said, any 911 engine will work - up to 3.8L.
lincoln
3.8 eh? hmmmmm.............. need to sit down and crunch some numbers now lol. whats the hp of a 3.8 btw?
scotty b

:beer1:Think Hp to weight ratios. You can always go with a 930 trany and a V8 700HP engine but it will only be good for straight lines. Wooohooo, cheap thrills.
[/quote]
WTF.gif How exactly is it that a larger HP engine will turn one of the best handling cars out there into a staight line only muscle machine?? HP has no adverse effects on the cars ability to handle a curve other than the drivers ability to control it!! Yes there will be a weight change but that also will do no harm to the cars overall handling characteristics.
jhadler
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 27 2006, 03:35 PM) *

WTF.gif How exactly is it that a larger HP engine will turn one of the best handling cars out there into a staight line only muscle machine?? HP has no adverse effects on the cars ability to handle a curve other than the drivers ability to control it!! Yes there will be a weight change but that also will do no harm to the cars overall handling characteristics.

When you put that much power on tap, it gets very hard to apply that power in a turn. What was the saying? "You don't _drive_ a 600 Hp race car, so much as _aim_ it.".

Unless you do some dramatic work beyond the driveline, it will be very hard to get the pedal even _close_ to the floor unless you're pointed completely straight. Short wheelbase, light weight, and low polar moment are a killer combo, add a cr*p load of power, and it can become a serious handfull.

-Josh2
turboman808
You want the biggest engine or the most power. I'd trade my 2.7 rs for an sti in a second. Any takers???
Jake Raby
A sample.

BTW- I was being easy on the tranny and shifting at 5K.
3.0 video
Mueller
QUOTE(lincoln @ Aug 27 2006, 03:38 PM) *

well , seeing as how ive come to the decision to do my engine myself to get it right, whats the biggest engine i can install without having to undergo major mods?

I'm considering a 2.7 from a 911 but i really dont want to have to have the car down for major frame/engine bay modifications to wedge it in in place of the 1.7 thats living there now.

i know a 1.8 and a 2.0 will both go in but i'd rather have a bit more power heheh

a Chevy 350 will install in a day...just 3 cuts in the front trunk, no mods to the engine compartment at all if you went crankfire smash.gif

as for the 911 based /6 engines, all work and fit with no cuts or mods to the chassis or engine compartment (a 3.8 is just a 3.6 with larger pistons and cylinders, add $6K to the cost of the conversion for that blink.gif ....well a 3.6 does need an external oil cooler, but that is minor )
johannes
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 28 2006, 04:14 PM) *

A sample.

3.0 video

I would love to watch the video, but I can't ... Am I alone ?
jhadler
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 31 2006, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 28 2006, 04:14 PM) *

A sample.

3.0 video

I would love to watch the video, but I can't ... Am I alone ?

Works fine for me... I like it Jake!!! That's gotta be a hoot!

Reminds me of this pink Bug that would show up to the Wednesday night drags here in Denver. This girl would pull up to the line in a pink Bug, and completely shame the chain-swingers in the pony cars. Brilliant.... :-)

-Josh2
fatlando
i'm actually thinking about putting a Boxster Engine into my 75. I got a price quote for a 2001 Boxster S Engine and Tranny with Brain and Radiator for only 8K!

I'd jump on it but i have to spend at least 3K to move from Bremerton to Coronado in 3 Weeks.

......hey...if everyone on the club lent me $5, my problems would be over!!

whoo hoo!!

See you California Guys and Gals in 3 weeks!!!

messix
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 28 2006, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(lincoln @ Aug 27 2006, 03:38 PM) *

a Chevy 350 will install in a day...just 3 cuts in the front trunk, no mods to the engine compartment at all if you went crankfire smash.gif

as for the 911 based /6 engines, all work and fit with no cuts or mods to the chassis or engine compartment (a 3.8 is just a 3.6 with larger pistons and cylinders, add $6K to the cost of the conversion for that blink.gif ....well a 3.6 does need an external oil cooler, but that is minor )

350, hell now you can get a small block chevy all the way up to 454 ci w/600hp for $9k
wbergtho
My LS6 500hp 914 still handles pretty well. I was running low 1:50's at BIR's 3 mile road course and hitting 155-160mph on the straight. My engine sits about 3" closer to the center of the car than the old school 350 iron block conversions though (had to cut the firewall). It does go pretty well in a straight line too. I ran 12.07 at the drag strip @ 127.80 MPH on street tires. On slicks it will run low to mid 11's.
iamchappy
Im using this. 3.12 turbo. Will be very nice off boost for daily driving. And
very exciting on boost, like jakes video in fast forward x2.

Bill, I am still hoping we will get in a drive. I am crossing my fingers but am trying to get it done before the end of September
the next celebration will be at my house for the official christening .
Howard
Merlin V12. 3500HP on 110 Avgas.
guiltless
I am thinking along the 6.0l W12 lines.
Mark Henry
I know a member that will have you all beat....maybe even the merlin...but it will fit better.

Already talk too much....don't want to be "swimmin wit de fishes" ph34r.gif
bd1308
OMg did HE put Jet engines on his 914?

Wow
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 1 2006, 09:19 AM) *

Wow

Sorry said too much all ready...all I can say is smiley_notworthy.gif
wbergtho
It's the twin turbo V-8 guy in Canada...
Mr.C
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 1 2006, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 1 2006, 09:19 AM) *

Wow

Sorry said too much all ready...all I can say is smiley_notworthy.gif

Any time frame till the cats outta the bag?
bd1308
i'm sure we'll see the cat, gonna have to get one HUGE damn bag to cover that up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.