Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil absorber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

One of the 914's blew a filter line (or something like that) on Sunday and totally washed down one section of the autox track.

The stuff the club had there to absorb oil didn't seem to work very well.

What is your experience and the best stuff to use and where do you get it?

Thanks.

Randal
J P Stein
Diatomaceous earth (a product of Canada, eh?) works as well as anything, me thinks.
An old time feed & fuel store can get it for you.
race914
We actually used cheap cat litter that worked pretty well.

Caveat is "worked well with non-synthetic oil"

jhadler
I'll second the cheap kitty litter. But you gotta work it to make it really work. We grind it in by foot, then sweep away. We also have a little gas powered leaf blower that is REALLY handy for clearing off the track afterwards.

-Josh2
john rogers
I think Willow Springs uses irradiated rice hulls or something similar? It sure assorbs synthetic oil quickly. CA Speedway uses something like that too as it really soaks up fast and sticks to your windshield like glue! Give them a call and ask.
Mueller
PIG Leak and Spill solutions for a clean and safe workplace or track wink.gif

The company above sells tons of different products for oil or liquid spills...some collect oil only and leave the water or will pick up both.

I'm going to order from them for my workshop at home.
Randal
QUOTE(john rogers @ Aug 31 2006, 07:46 PM) *

I think Willow Springs uses irradiated rice hulls or something similar? It sure assorbs synthetic oil quickly. CA Speedway uses something like that too as it really soaks up fast and sticks to your windshield like glue! Give them a call and ask.

Hi John,

Kind of OT, but how are the track conditions down there in Mexico?

Randal
70Sixter
QUOTE(jhadler @ Aug 31 2006, 01:30 PM) *

I'll second the cheap kitty litter. But you gotta work it to make it really work. We grind it in by foot, then sweep away.
-Josh2

Amen. I'll add a third on the cheap cat litter. I screwed the pooch on my first Boxster oil change and spilled the Mobil 1 twice (one big, one small). The grinding-it-in-by-foot part made a big difference on my concrete floor.

Two lessons: 1 - Make sure the oil filler plug doesn't fall into the oil catcher.
2 - Don't use a small container if you let the last bit drain all nite. You would be surprised how much oil drips drops and draps into a beer can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.