Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I got to play fireman today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I was leaving my job this afternoon in small homeowner's association complex.

I got around the loop and smelled smoke. I drove ahead and talked to a homeowner who was out sniffing around.

In my rear view mirror I saw HUGE amounts of smoke coming from beween two homes about 50 yards behind me.

I through the truck ( red ) into reverse and went in to action.
I went to the gate and looked to see the back deck on fire...Flames well overhead by now.

Now imagine this, cell phone in one hand up to ear with 911, garden hose with water running in other trying to get through the gate.

Got in!! Now I'm telling 911 the address while I am standing 15 feet from the fire and trying to put it out. "I'm trying to put the fire out right now!!" I said to them.

Got off the phone and finished the job, I could hear the sirens of the trucks coming.

I went out front and flagged the firemen my way and went back to running the hose. It was crazy, the firemen were chopping the deck up with axes while I was spraying the smoldering wood.

Total rush.

The homeowner, who was out, came back in hysterics. "My dog, my dog!!"

All was fine. thumb3d.gif

KT
Jenny
Way to go, Trek!! I like hearing those stories. Good for the homeowner that you were there! I get really worried leaving my beagles at home by themselves all day.

Allan
So what did you use to actually start it that gave you enough time to get down the street without looking conspicuous? w00t.gif

Gud yob...
byndbad914
nice job! most people would just call 911 and watch in amazement. That home owner owes you big time! Fire can spread insanely fast, so the fact you were able to keep it to just the deck was great for them.

kharma says you should see at least 2-4seconds faster lap times as Thill next time biggrin.gif Just envision that fire in the trunk of the car and the only water is at the finish line laugh.gif
Trekkor
It was weird, If I would have just drove away without looking back, two homes may have been lost confused24.gif

KT
Jenny
agree.gif Good drivers drive looking out the front as much as looking out the back (thru the mirror)

Jen
Trekkor
One more chapter to this story...

There is some sort of worker doing repairs on this property.
( wood on sawhorse and sheet rock in yard ).

I wonder where he was unsure.gif

Hmmmm....

KT
Jeroen
excellent job!
most people woulda just stood there, watch the whole thing go up in flames while waiting for the firetruck to arrive
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Trekkor
My wife was just talking to her sister and telling her how the back sliding door was open and some water and smoke may have gotten in the house.

She was joking and said how they'll prolly give me the carpet cleaning bill ohmy.gif

KT
Chris Pincetich
Nice work Trek! I put out a car fire once, helping a stranger in need, and it was very rewarding. I'm sure you won't get "burned" for helping out...maybe they want some fire resistant tile instead of a new wood deck? biggrin.gif

Dogs at home alone all day, causing trouble, maybe playing poker and smoking cigars, then the fires start when the ash hits the rug...
Zaney
clap56.gif Good job!
It is nice to see helpful neighbors doing what they can!
Now you got a tiny taste of what some of us have the privledge of doing for a career! happy11.gif Breaking stuff and kicking a fire's ass is a good time all around! If you want to see what the guys in the "red trucks" do you should see if they allow civilian ride-a-longs. If you do, just don't forget the icecream wink.gif
BTW you car turned out awesome!

Nate
(a guy who rides backwards in a big red truck)
So.Cal.914
Way to go! Most people would have grabbed the marshmellow's instead of

the hose.
Trekkor
Here's a spy shot I took this morning. They cleaned it up pretty good but I added the dashes to the picture so you can see how much deck was on fire.

Sounds like it was cigerette related.

The fire dept told the homeowner that 5-10 minutes more and her house and the nieghbors may have been badly damaged.

Click to view attachment

See how close together the houses are? ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.