Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a functional rear wing/spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Trekkor
I'm looking for ideas to fab up my very own rear wing for high speed track driving.

Show me some pics and tell me what you know.

It will be removable and I want to mount it to the rear bumper through the bumperette holes.

Thanks

KT
Joe Ricard
Just curious as to what handling characteristics you are experiencing. I assume this is just for track events as a wing as you suggest would put you into such a high Autocross class you would be assured DFL.
Trekkor
This is for improved stabilty at high speed.

As far as a/x...I'd prolly leave it on to intimidate. smile.gif
No penalty as the ducktail on my decklid already dings me.

KT
Mueller
Home Depot special smile.gif

IPB Image

seriously, I'd make sure that the rear bumper hardware is beefed up....

I do like the idea of it being removable.....
DanT
Trekkor, a more appropriate approach for the motor you currently have might be to put a more conservative front spoiler on your car. You are creating quite a bit of down force on the front of your car with your "sweeper dam". Giving you high speed lift in the rear. I had a GT front air dam on my 914-6 RS car and no rear spoiler....car would be stable at all but the highest speeds.
Since you already have the rear duck tail I would go to a smaller front spoiler like the old HPH style or an LE air dam...
Should even things back out....
With a big rear spoiler and your relatively small engine you are going to be defeating yourself.... smile.gif
Trekkor
I was hoping to see the pics of Bill's wing from the old #628.

Right now the car actually feels really great. It seems a little skatey side to side at the end of a long straight over 100 mph.

Without the Sweeper or the ducktail the car is pretty floaty and the rear lifts at "test" speeds unsure.gif

I have two 914 donor parts that *might* be fabbed into a 4 ft by 8 inch wing.

I like the look of the Rolex DP spec wing.

KT
grantsfo
Do under 175 hp 914's need much of a wing for Nor Cal tracks?
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 1 2006, 08:21 PM) *

I was hoping to see the pics of Bill's wing from the old #628.

Right now the car actually feels really great. It seems a little skatey side to side at the end of a long straight over 100 mph.

Without the Sweeper or the ducktail the car is pretty floaty and the rear lifts at "test" speeds unsure.gif

I have two 914 donor parts that *might* be fabbed into a 4 ft by 8 inch wing.

I like the look of the Rolex DP spec wing.

KT

I looked in my files, but could only find pictures of 628 before the big spoiler.

Go look on the GGR website. Probably between 12 and 24 months ago.
nine14cats
Hi Trekkor,

I agree with Dan, you may end up losing some time on your laps with a wing due to the fact you don't have enough HP to offset the drag. I talked to several people and most said 230+HP to push the air created by a wing. We were at 240HP, so we were marginal at best.

That being said, you can feel the difference. I had mine drilled for three settings: 0, 3, and 7 degrees.

Here's some pics of the car with the HPH rear spoiler and then the GT Racing CF wing.

Bill P.

nine14cats
more...

Trekkor
Thanks Bill, that helps.

I may *find* a BIG SIX over the winter unsure.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
WCC 05. yellow narrow body car with shell decals had a wicked wing. go look in the pics thread.

i like it alot.
sww914
I helped make a CF wing, styrofoam cut with a hotwire, epoxy resin, CF cloth.
What a pain in the ass. It ended up being heavier than if we'd made it with urethane foam and polyester resin because we couldn't shape the foam at all after we cut it, so we glassed it and then used a bunch of filler to smooth it out. I say if you really want a wing, buy at least the element and build all of the mounts. Making the airfoil is really hard, and there's a bunch of ricer crap on ebay really cheap and some of them have decent airfoils that will work.
grantsfo
I have always liked this one:

IPB Image
IPB Image
Trekkor
Good! more pics

KT
alpha434
A wing may not be the solution. If you're only problem is at high speeds, and you don't have any BIG sweeping corners that you take at 100, then just side stabilizers will do the job. They'd straighten out the rear really well at speed. And if you just like the way a wing looks, then you can just run the wing at a really low angle of attack to get the look and the results.
Trekkor
I'm trying to think of the high speed turns I take idea.gif

At Sears:
1, exit of 6 "carousel" and 10.

At Thunderhill:
1,7and 8.

Laguna:
1,5 and 6.

I don't want to create drag.
I'm looking for just a little more comfort.

maybe this is a waste confused24.gif

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 4 2006, 10:37 PM) *

I'm trying to think of the high speed turns I take idea.gif

At Sears:
1, exit of 6 "carousel" and 10.

At Thunderhill:
1,7and 8.

Laguna:
1,5 and 6.

I don't want to create drag.
I'm looking for just a little more comfort.

maybe this is a waste confused24.gif

KT

Not a waste Trekkor, possibly just premature....?
If you keep your current motor, the wing is going to cause more drag than you will be able to overcome....possibly slowing you.
Personally, I think you need more seat time before you make any changes to the car in it's current motor/suspension set up.
Did the factory ever have spoilers of any kind on the GTs?
Not that you can't improve on what the factory did 30 years later....
confused24.gif

The other factor is that I feel your current suspension setup is more skewed towards the AX side of the equation. Possibly dialing your setup towards track duty would be more beneficial than dinking with the aero at this juncture.
I don't know anyone that runs a 914 on the track with a huge sway bar and stock torsion bars....? Some larger torsion bars and dialing back on the sway bar might help eliminate some of your problems blink.gif
Trekkor
Being that you have ridden in my car with me at Sears a little while ago, what was you impression of the "feel"?

Sears feels really good to me. Still puckering through 10...Good thing.

I personally only notice a little skiddishness on the long straights of TH and over the crest of 1 at Laguna.

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 4 2006, 10:58 PM) *

Being that you have ridden in my car with me at Sears a little while ago, what was you impression of the "feel"?

Sears feels really good to me. Still puckering through 10...Good thing.

I personally only notice a little skiddishness on the long straights of TH and over the crest of 1 at Laguna.

KT

over the crest of 1 at laguna is always tough for any car without extra rear down force. Must keep the car straight as you crest....if you do the car will track down the hill....I go straight over the top not even a slight turn to the left.

I still think that if you made your front air dam a bit shorter you would find the rear would stick better....

I don't know anyone that does not pucker at 10 at Sears....join the club biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Also , I'm shifting into 5th over the crest of 1 at Laguna.
I wonder if I should just tach out in 4th instead?
Wanna come down and instruct a bit on my 16-17th weekend?

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.