Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: most economical suspension and 5-lug swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
so I want to not only convert my 1973 914 to a subaru engine...but I also want a 5-lug conversion and different suspension...

what's the best way to do the 5-lug swap...strength, cost, etc...

and what suspension would I want...I just want some sportier springs or struts maybe off of a different porsche...but I don't know enough about porsche to know wihch cars fit what because I'm a subaru boy

please help!!!
Mueller
cheapest would be to re-drill your existing parts and use press in studs (by a professional)......a few hundred or less depending on shop rates...

or

early 70's to mid 80's stuff from a 911 is less expensive than the '84(?) on stuff...
...a couple hundred bucks, but good chances everything will need rebuilding so add a few more hundreed bucks...

check out Eric Shea in the resource section, he sells 5 lug conversion parts that while not "cheap" are about as good of a deal you are going to get unless you get really lucky in the classifieds or swapmeets...

Koni Yellows or Bilstiens for a 914 are what you want....springs are available for the 914 as well..or if you go with adjustable perches, you can get springs from a circle track catalog.

at least a front swaybar is nice to have...

what is your real budget for the suspension? make sure you account for new tie-rods or ball joints in case yours are bad or the donor vehicles parts are bad.....

McMark
Brakes, don't forget the brakes.

Eric, if you see this thread, with 3" caliper spacing struts, is there a 911 rotor that is compatible with the 914 caliper? This would eliminate the expense of new calipers as well as avoid having to re-bleed the brakes.
Aaron Cox
maybe an early solid M caliper rotor
project-914
you guys are really quick to respond and I appreciate that...

can you tell me exactly what I need though...hubs, trailing arms, axles?...that is if I were to take it from a 911...

this is going to be a track car and I feel that the 4 to 5 lug conversions would be weak...would I benefit from actual 911 parts strengthwise...also I want the final bolt pattern to be 5x130...do I get that with the machined conversion?...and is that conversion ever prone to breaking cause by stress

the koni yellows are FTW...and spring options anyone?...also, I want used porsche atleast disk brakes all the way around...tell me what I need there...

I'm looking at 2k for suspension, conversion, and brakes, thanks
Chris Pincetich
You can read about 5-lug swaps and conversions for dayz, try teh "search" function.

Swapping a 911 front suspension works great - you get bigger stiffer front torsion springs, bigger brakes (good ones if you're lucky), and it will fit perfect. The rear has lots of options, even using 911 stub axles and hubs, but like Mike said, drilling the hubs and stuff is cheapest.

I just bought a complete front to rebuild while I continue to drive the 914. New ball joints have arrived, got a lead on used Konis, and the roller bearing bushings are on back order laugh.gif I'm staying 4-lug so I don't have to buy new wheels.
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.