Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: broken clutch cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a '71 1.7
I came out of the store last night, got in my car, pushed in the clutch and clunk. So, I took my foot off the clutch pedal but it stayed on the floor. I can pull it up with my hand but it falls back down. I looked at the cable on the transmission end and it has come off of the clutch fork. I looked at the pedal end and it looks OK.

Any ideas of what went wrong? Maybe the clutch pedal spring broke?

Also, if anyone has any good pictures of how the cable attaches to the fork(I can't tell cause of all the grease, oil, crud, etc. built up down there) it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

kirk
bd1308
actually my nylon pulley snapped in like thirty pieces when I finally had trouble.

Good Luck!

b
So.Cal.914
In 1984 the plastic piece that attaches the cable to the clutch fork broke.

I made one out of aluminium and it has lasted all this time. I have seen these

for 911's made from alum. They may have them for 914's also.

Grab the cable and pull on it if it pulls up the pedel it should be fine as long as

the threaded end for adjustment is still there. The pedel will drop to the floor when

the cable breaks.
firstknight13
sad.gif the exact same thing happened to me wed. i took it apart and found it was the cheap plastic part at the fork end!!! orderd a metal one should be in on sat.... very easy fix!!! biggrin.gif
a '71 1.7
I finally had time to look closer today. It was definitely the cable, I yanked on it at the trans end and it kept coming out until I got the broken rear half (or so) out of it. I just hope I'll have time to get it fixed by GAF weekend.

Thanks guys!

kirk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.