Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autocross Worthy Seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jeff73
I was looking at purchasing the Sparco Sprint seats, and was wondering if this would be a worthy seat for autocrossing. I also intend on driving at least 2-3 times a week to work. Need opinions.
race914
We have a MOMO Start seat in our 914-6 that is a track/street car and love it.

Great on the track (setup for 5 point belts) and no problem on the street.

Have also used OMP in the past but not SPARCO so I can't comment on the seat you are looking at except is appears comprable to the MOMO Start.

Mike T
Kirkey Intermediate layback. Mounted flush to the floor.

It would be tough for the street but with the upholstery it's not too uncomfortable.

If you are tall remember to determine if the seat you are considering will raise you up in the car.

Mike T
Joe Ricard
I am running Sparco "old school seats" They were siting on some guys shelf for years. I using the Sparco rails bolted right to the floor. I removed the the cross member and welded up some pads to the floor pan. I have plenty of head room Lots more than with a stock seat,

I drove Barry's car and ended up taking the seat bottom out and running a thin piece of foam.

The seats I really like are the new fiberglass shell models there is more of a cut out in the bolsters for your elbows.
I think it is most important to be sitting up very straight and "UP on the wheel" for autocross. I actually had to lift my seat up a bit because Sparco sliders on the floor was too low for me to see well out the front.
Randal
QUOTE(Mike T @ Sep 1 2006, 09:59 AM) *

Kirkey Intermediate layback. Mounted flush to the floor.

It would be tough for the street but with the upholstery it's not too uncomfortable.

If you are tall remember to determine if the seat you are considering will raise you up in the car.

Mike T

agree.gif

The only thing that would work better would be using the Kirkey seat in conjunction with a foam insert that you make. With the foam insert you simply don't move; great for Autoxing.

The kirkey seat on the street wouldn't be fun at all.
SandyI
I have an inexpensive Corbeau in my 914/3.2. Very comfortable. Plus, the seat cushion is removable for race days which gives me additional headroom.
Trekkor
For a street driver with a/x and track duty keep the stock seat and remove the cushion when you track it.

You can make use of the added bolstering of the stock seat this way and enjoy the cushy ride during the week.

I modded my stock seat to accept 5 point harnesses and I added radical side bolstering to support me. Cheap and easy.

It seems the most "real" race seats are in the $500 range, right?
Mine cost me $100 in materials.

KT
Trekkor
My seat mod thread

Hope that helps.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 4 2006, 11:52 PM) *

My seat mod thread

Hope that helps.

KT

Trekkor,

Where is that thread where it talked about doing that bag thing with foam?

Randal...

Hope you see you this weekend.
SandyI
$500? My Corbeau's about $200. Has holes for lap belts, shoulder belts and sub-strap. Race safe and ready.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.