Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I was looking at my car, and noticed my welds let go on the battery tray. The shelf is still intact thank god, but the tray isnt, or something.

This sucks, guess i'll have to borrow my buddy's 220V MIG welder

b
Brando
First the tray goes, then the stand, then the hellhole starts...
jd74914
Were they the welds holding it to the body?

Anyways, that sounds like a problem of too little welding penetration.
bd1308
Yeah, I think they were actually cold joints.

I could have sworn I made good penetration on the lip of the tray, but I guess not.

b
Joe Bob
Yer battery is too heavy.... blink.gif
bd1308
I guess so.

I never thought that thing would move. I put some serious welds everywhere.

b
Brando
Time to put the battery in the trunk smile.gif
dwillouby
Yea, your welds looked good. Grind them down and try again.

David
Rand
Had no idea what this thread was going to be about. A little more descriptive title would be nice in the future. wink.gif beer.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure what your serious welds were actually like. You can crap a monster bead on and have no strength. As was mentioned, what matters is getting good penetration. I've also seen a lot of welds that are just run in a line, where as most strong welds have the fish scale look instead. Working side to side and getting a good melt into both pieces is important.

It would be really worthwhile to get some first-hand instruction from a really good/experienced welder.
bd1308
David Willouby and Grasshopper were both present and both taught me how to weld.

Everything held up fine, i even hit the hell out of the panels I fabbed with a small sledge hammer. worked great. I'll just grind down and re-do.

I was kinda upset and this idea of making a thread seemed a lot better than taking it out on the car.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.