Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 to be topic of raby's next internet radio show.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
If you guys haven't checked this out yet, it is really cool, and next week will be a 914 show.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio/
anthony
I thought the first two shows were very good. Very educational and I bought a cam after the last show!
Jake Raby
The radio show is being a HUGE success!! We have shared more info in the past 3 weeks than we could have in months of writing text and the nice thing is people get to hear our enthusiasm and emphesis on certain areas- its much more personal than text.

The next show will be on the topic of 914 engine performance upgrades. This will cover bolt on items, internal mods and you name it...

However if you are looking for information pertaing to your "six" or something that requires adding water to cool the engine- the show isn't for you!

This show is ALL about the Type 4 and how we make it do things it was never designed to do while remaining reliable and longevity filled.

In this weeks show, as normal we have a "product of the week" thats not advertised on the store or any forums- only listening to the radio show will get you a SMOKING DEAL on a certain part every week. So far we have done standard DTM shrouds for 200.00 off retail, cams and lifters at 40% off and this week we have TWO featured products. One of these is from the engine shop and has a TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR benefit if the listener takes advantage of it by the close of business on September 7th!

Look for much, much more interactivity from my shop and this radio show. The 914 show is sure to be a big hit! If anyone has any specific questions you'd like me to cover, post them here or we'll start another thread!

This has been a very fun part of my job and I look forward to many YEARS of 4th Dimension Radio!
rhodyguy
you should sell cds for the dialuppers. seriously. perhaps a subscription plan.
Jake Raby
As we get more shows under our belts we'll be offering CDs of the shows. We'll probably do 10 episodes per CD and they won't sell for much at all.
anthony
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 1 2006, 10:44 AM) *

you should sell cds for the dialuppers. seriously. perhaps a subscription plan.

Downloading 20-40MB shouldn't be too painful.

Jake Raby
Yeah, its not bad...
thomasotten
As a 914 owner contemplating my next engine, I can see I would be very interested in what sort of engineering and development that you can address concerning the street use of the 914 vechicle:

Engine Heat - I live in Texas.

Engine performance - how can we modify the engine to at least keep up with modern cars.

Carburators - tell me more about Dellortos, or whatever fuel system you don't have to constantly tinker with. Do you recommend a breather system that won't coat your engine compartment with oil? What about crappy performance when the engine is cold in the morning?

Reliability, and confidence - Suppose I wanted to drive a few hundred miles into the hillcounty, and expect to get back! (Don't laugh, I just don't trust my engine).

Engine life span - It seems that the cylinder heads are the weak point of the engine. Is a type IV going to require top end work at around 60k miles, or do your new head castings help with engine longevity?

Exhaust system - One reason I am staying with a type IV and not converting to a six is because I don't want to shell out $1600 for headers with heat. Having said that, am I going to be OK with my stainless steel 2.0 heat exchangers, if I decide to build a 2056, or larger? Will that cause a bottle-neck on performance?

anthony
Jake, I have a question about the latest radio promotion. I noticed that I can't PM or email you from here. What is the easiest way to ask you a quick question?

Thanks.
brer
I am interested in Rocker Geometry and Sealants.
Jake Raby
Rocker geometry and sealants will be gone over in their own shows as time progress... I also have videos on both of them planned for sale in 2007- the radio show could never cover that type of detail!

This show will entail my thoughts about how to make a powerful 914/4 live on the street through internal and bolt on components/ modifications.

I will go over induction/exhaust and ignition bolt ons and their benefits as well as what works and what doesn't. we'll be talking a lot about our 2270 combination and how we worked through all the issues to make an engine that runs cooler than stock, yet provides double the stock performance.

As for contacting me:
No PM or email from here. If you are wanting to chat about the recent engine shop promotion folow the directives on this contact page and submit an email through the proper channels.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/contact.htm
jr91472
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 1 2006, 12:39 PM) *

I will go over induction/exhaust and ignition bolt ons and their benefits as well as what works and what doesn't. we'll be talking a lot about our 2270 combination and how we worked through all the issues to make an engine that runs cooler than stock, yet provides double the stock performance.

Jake, can't wait for the show. By chance are you going to be covering your new stock "billet" oil coolers?

These were mentioned on this board many months ago and I was curious if they ever came to pass. I am looking to knock off about 20deg during peak summer months here in TX.

Thanks and keep up the good work beer.gif
rhodyguy
dl (du) time was going to be 3 hours and 48 minutes. the connection would never last.
anthony
Use a download manager that will resume downloads if the connection is lost. When I was on dialup about a bajillion years ago I'd let stuff run all night without losing the connection.

Anyway, don't they have DSL in WA?
anthony
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 1 2006, 01:39 PM) *

As for contacting me:
No PM or email from here. If you are wanting to chat about the recent engine shop promotion folow the directives on this contact page and submit an email through the proper channels.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/contact.htm

Jake, I emailed by little question about the radio show promotion a few days ago to info@aircooledtechnology.com and haven't heard anything back. I'm wondering if the current radio show promotion applies to kits. (I've been interested in the torquer kit.)

After the 2nd show I ordered a couple cam/lifter sets from you. I got some instructions on the cam selection page from Rebecca at parts@aircooledtechnology.com. I tried using the cam page but when I hit "submit" nothing seemed to happend. I emailed back to parts to let you know this and I haven't heard anything back so I don't know if you got my cam info.

I'm trying not to be a pest and trying to contact you guys in the most efficient way but it doesn't seem to be working well. Should I just get on the phone and call?

Jake Raby
The phone is actually the least effective means of contact around here..

I received your email, but have not responded to any emails over the holiday. I will tomorrow.

The promotion is ONLY for complete engines, it does not apply to kits- as I mentioned in the radio show. Engine kits are sold through my store, not my engine shop.

The Cam Dr. has been working well, only issue has been guys runninga Mac...
Twystd1
Looking forward to it..!!!!!!!!!

Your previous shows were both informative and entertaining.

I hope you and Len drop the news on the program of what you guys are up to.....

Send Len over to the NARP driving school for a week or so.... LOL...

And is Len's Dad going to be involved?

NEXT:

By the way Jake...

Do you or will you be offering a 1 7/8 or 2" header for sale in the near future?

Or do you suggest I try going over to Tigers shop direct? As he is close to me.

The reason is: I believe the new iteration of my next engine will be over 160 HP. More like 200+ me thinks.

And I know the existing Euro header and others won't work past 150 - 160 HP.

Any suggestions on which way to go for a teener?

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated by me.

Twystd1
Jake Raby
Twystd1,
Thanks for the compliments on the radio show! as we repair some technical difficulties with volume it will get better!

If the demand is there we will be offering a 914 exhaust system that falls in between the current systems and the Tangerine set up. The price would be about 900 bucks, but we won't be working on A-1 for this development as I now have a very proficient fabricator in our network that can do volumes of quality work at a reasonable price because I am giving him so much fabrication work these days.

I really should not get involved with another 914 specific product development, but the demand certainly seems to be there.
Twystd1
Thanks Jake.

Let me know if you need a SoCal. mule.

AAron has a 2056 and I have a 2.5 that is need of a BIG exhaust.

2.5 is going the injected route very soon. (Newest Link Systems)

Glad to see ya playing on the board again....

By the way.. YOUR NUTS...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (never change bro)

Twystd1
anthony
How about a header with a heat exchanger? Some of us still want a street car and enjoy heat in the winter.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 5 2006, 04:09 PM) *

How about a header with a heat exchanger? Some of us still want a street car and enjoy heat in the winter.

No heat for me.

Once again the liability aspect kicks in. Someone gassing themselves out from a cracked header pipe just isn't worth the risks for me.

If this was 20 years ago- I'd do it, today everyone wants a piece of what someone else has and they want it through a crooked assed court system..
Twystd1
Amen..............

Clayton
anthony
For heat on a 914 are SSI HEs or the Tangerine heat exchanger pretty much the only options? I was wondering how much SSIs would choke down something like the 2270 Torquer. Could they harm it? I think I read something on STF about a cheap exhaust system and valves getting burnt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.