Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear deck lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LS6/914
Anyone out there had experience with lightweight rear deck lids? Who manufactures them? Approximate weights? Lar.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(LS6/914 @ Oct 25 2003, 10:32 AM)
Anyone out there had experience with lightweight rear deck lids? Who manufactures them? Approximate weights?

check these out ...

Sheridan Motorsports
GT Racing
Fiberwerks

that'll get you started ...
redshift
Heh.. I got one on a car, never took it off, was FG, could not have weighed more than 3.5 lbs, painted.

Makers: Getty, American International Racing, and many, many more.

M
anthony
Who makes the carbon fiber hoods? Are they safe for a street car?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 26 2003, 08:32 AM)
Who makes the carbon fiber hoods? Are they safe for a street car?

GT Racing has them, check a couple of links up. $662.95
safe ? i think i don't understand your question.
i was once in a frontal impact with a 914 and the hood bent like aluminum foil; i don't think it's strong enough to have dissipated much if any energy in the 'crumple zone'. carbon won't bend like metal so i'd expect it to crack pretty good if anything were ever dropped on it.

but it's probably only a pound or so lighter than the glass for a significant price premium.
Brad Roberts
I have a couple of customers with the carbon hoods. They fit well and function great.

The ones I have experience with are from Getty Design out of Riverside Ca.

B
anthony
GT Racing has them, check a couple of links up. $662.95

I missed it because they don't have pretty drool-worthy pics.

safe ? i think i don't understand your question.

By safe I'm just wondering what it does in a collision. In a worst case scenario head on I was imagining a glass hood shattering and maybe coming through the windshield.

but it's probably only a pound or so lighter than the glass for a significant price premium.

This would be purchased for pretty much the coolness aspect. I was thinking that a black 914 street rod with carbon fiber front and rear hoods would look pretty sweet.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Ooooh...wiiiiide bodyyyyyy...
IPB Image

Even the 'standard body' is nice looking smile.gif Now if they could make it for street legal cars (working trunks, headlights, etc.)
Brad Roberts
I wish Roger had left that "theme" on the car. is new 70's 917 theme makes me barf.gif .

B
McMark
I'm a sucker for 70's look. I can see some aesthetic disputes forming already. laugh.gif
redshift
Play nice.

I like the purple/blue (edit) I dislike the 8 bit flame job.

M
jridder
>Now if they could make it for street legal cars (working trunks, headlights, etc.)

Are there any cars with headlights small enough to go in the turn signal area of a 914? It seems like some of the new cars with projector beam headlights are pretty small. Of course, you would have to find a place for the turn signals, but that shouldn't be too tough.

Or, how about mounting flush lights. It looks like the mid-90's 300ZX ( http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re.../92809101990002 ) has lights that are sloped about the right amount.

Jonathan
redshift
How about buy a hood, cut the corners out, and fabricate CF doors for the lights?

M
soloracer
I believe my car - with a Sheridan normal front and wide body rear - can be made street legal with mirrors and turn signals.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry Brad, I still haven't taken any new pictures. smile.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Lower that butt smile.gif Man, that looks niiiiice wub.gif
Brad Roberts
Let me know when your ready to sell it Solo... LOL

Jridder,

I have thought about doing small projection headlights in the stock location and making the headlight only open enough to allow them to shine "out". Miata's have a kit for this same setup. Instead of having our headlights stick up 3 feet in the air... they would only stick up about 6 inches when open. Let me know if you can help me figure out how to stop the headlights at a 6 inch opening (it has to be a diode stop or something on the stock setup) I have some headlight motors you can use to play with if need be.

B
Air_Cooled_Nut
I don't think you would have to have an electronic headlight stop, just change the leverage system. When I was aligning my headlight assemblies I saw how the arm simply pushes or pulls on the headlight arm/pivot. What about changing the location of that arm/pivot? Heck, maybe make it adjustable, like a slotted opening for the actuating arm to mount in to so you can more easily adjust it. It may be easier/quicker because you are mechanically engineering the assembly (metal fab) instead of electrically engineering it (triggers, timers, relays, etc.).

Just some thoughts.
soloracer
Brad: Won't be selling any time soon....still collecting parts and sweating over the choice of engine. If you know of any 3.6's that are reasonably priced I'll sell the MR2 turbo motor.

Nut: Seeing as how you are an ass man I thought I would share these with you....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Once I get a nice engine planted in the car it should look much less like a cat in heat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.