Well, I'm trying a set of injectors that are for a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450 SE. I must be crazy!

I got them BRAND NEW from PartsAmerica for $49.99 each. They're made by Niehoff- not exactly a household name, I know.

Anyway, I couldn't resist the price, and they are new, and the MB D-Jet injectors are listed as the same impedance and flow as the 914 2.0, so what the hey. These cross reference to Volvo (2.0L) D-Jet as well, so how far off can they be??? Expecially since I know I have to tune my MPS with the wb O2 sensor anyway.

So I ordered them, and they came yesterday. They have a different type nozzle, or at least 3 of them do. It's a stainless steel chimney, with a triple nozzle, below which sits a single valve. I poked around on the internet, and the closest thing I could find was a GM-Rochester (I guess that's Delphi now) ball design valve that came out in about '96. Supposedly to reduce deposits.

So I was cutting off the crimped-on straight hose to install my elbow hoses, and when I got to the the last one, I found it was the same old style pintle I'm used to. Same part number, different design squirty-end. So I called Niehoff. Their tech guy confirmed a running change to an improved valve design to improve atomization and reduce deposits.

I've gone this far, so they're going in the car. I called PartsAmerica, and they went through the warehouse and found both types. They're sending me another one of the new type, so I'll have 4 that match. The Niehoff guy said that it's not necessary since they all flow the same, but I want all 4 of the same type....

I'll know by this time next week if they work. Reliability? Maybe by this time next year. And when the car goes down for the winter, I'll pull them and have the spray pattern and flow volume checked out...

Always striving to be on the leading edge....

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment