Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: here's another GT research - #0375
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
Does anybody know aomething about 914.0.43.0375 ??

here's my current knowledge:

- dealer converted GT - by Sun West Porsche, Tucson AZ
- raced in various SCCA and IMSA events (no known successes)

- restored by PCNA in 1991
- vintage raced since then

tell me all you know beerchug.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
http://saz.pca.org/History/years_ago.htm

I've emailed Jeff Gamble.
Gustl
just received new info:
these two pictures *should* show #0375
sixnotfour
I thought it was the purple car , some one saw at sears point and posted pictures (i couldnt find em ,I think it was martinbaker or trekkor)
I saw it 1992 San Diego porsche parade when it was recently completed restoration at PCNA. I didnt know back then that it was a GT before that.
I was too impressed with the Sunauto , Alfa/sienfeld and the Tangerine scream Gagnon cars.
scanners broke, I do have some photo's showing no roll bar etc.
North Bay 914
I spoke at length with this Gentleman, he told me had done the conversion, with factory parts which he had purchased from Jurgen Barth back in the day. I have about 20 photos of the car. I guess it depends on your personnel definition of a real 914-6 GT, but this is a real six with a factory supplied GT kit, I believe he said it is now a 2.4 liter engine.
davep
Sun-West car was Signal Orange. Yes, the Sun-West car was just a stocker when we started to AutoX it with SCCA solo 2 and some PCA time trials. All started with the dealer/Harry Newman wanting to help the 914/6 lagging sales so he entered the car in the new Schitz Beer sponsored solo 2 series here in Tucson. That event was covered by Road&Tracks Allen Gurdler. Besides myself Harry also entered his girl friend Alice Hoffer and the dealer mechanic Al Latowski for added exposure. In fact his plan worked so well he won the Porsche/Audi National Sales contest for selling the most 914/6 (per capita) in the country. We were basically undefeated and qualified for the Divisional SCCA solo 2 run-off in Las Vegas... we had mechanical (shifter) difficulties and didn't win the Divisional award.

From communication with Jeff Gamble who drove the car.
Gustl
well, that's some great info

many thanks @all pray.gif

would it be possible to find a photo of the orange Sun-West car idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
Martin, do you know the VIN of that purple #40 car? is it #375?
gms
Last owner I have is Jon Wactor, Del Mar CA

6/1991 Pano
"GT specs, light ivory, raced, all records"

2/6/1999
"as the flares (from Jurgen Barth), chassis stiffeners, oil cooler in nose, and is flieder lilac, the same color as the 1971 longtail 917 hippie car, but without the green stripes). I had it restored by the Porsche Cars North America shop back in '91/'92. Fine car that I love to get out and vintage race. Jon"
SGB
Wow everyone, thanks for the knowledge!
North Bay 914
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 3 2006, 11:53 AM) *

Martin, do you know the VIN of that purple #40 car? is it #375?

How's this Dave?
davep
Oh yeah, that nails it. Well, the only thing I can ask is: is 0375 the Sun-West car or not. Gustl how does all this info fit together?

More from Jeff:
Don't know the VIN # of the Sun-West 1970 race car however Harry Newman did not converted it to a GT.... When the orginal engine expired it was replace with a 2.2S w/ 46IDA Carrera 6 Webers. The car was sold to X CanAm racer and Parade overall winner John Williamson who installed wide fenders and a Turbo charged engine for the 73 Parade in Monterey. John owns Ottos in Venice Beach Ca. Perhaps John could give you more information. I would also be interested to know the history as I was the Handler of the car to many autoX overall wins in the SW.
davep
photos
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 4 2006, 01:21 AM) *

Gustl how does all this info fit together?

wow - this all sounds really good to me

the most importand thing to know would be if the early orange car is the same car as the purple car - #0375 ...

many thanks to all pray.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
sixnotfour
Guessing probably not , 375 appears white, the tangerine car can be seen in otto's , scrapbook ,misc. pics ,bare flares and turbo motor.
http://www.ottosvenice.com/
Gustl
why do you think #0375 is white?

confused24.gif Gustl
davep
Gustl, I've enquired at Otto's. Lets hope for more good info.
Can you reveal more about the info from your initial post, and the background to the Canary tub you thought was 0375? These cars seem to go through several incarnations, it is so difficult to track the history now.
Gustl
Dave, first off all many thanks for your great investigativ work!

I've got an inquiry from my german friend, who's the master mind of the GT list from the Porsche 914-6 Club Germany. I guess that he accidently came accross this VIN and wanted to find out more about this car.

I've just eMailed him for more info - and to discover from where he's got the info shown in my initial post.

I'll let you know when the answer arrived

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
An email from Jeff Gamble prompts me to give this thread a icon_bump.gif

Any progress Gustl?
Anyone able to contact John Williamson?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 1 2006, 02:16 PM) *

Does anybody know aomething about 914.0.43.0375 ??

nope, but i have about 400 pictures of 914.0.43.0374 ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
JW's car went to a young kid in Pacific Palisades, just NW of Santa Monica. His name is Ken something, IIRC. He still had it several years later (that would be the late 1970s). If memory serves, it may have been painted black by then. The Cap'n
davep
John, Is there any way you could do any more tracking on this car or owner? Thank goodness for people that have been around for more than a few years.
davep
icon_bump.gif

Tried to phone Otto's yesterday, and got some poor fellow in Calgary who has been getting lots of calls all week for them. Dial the correct number, and get something else: the 9 becomes a 6. Bell Canada says nothing we can do. Can someone local call them and inform them of the problem please.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 28 2006, 06:07 PM) *

John, Is there any way you could do any more tracking on this car or owner? Thank goodness for people that have been around for more than a few years.

Ken Raichert. Maybe Reichert, but I think the former spelling. It suddenly appeaere in my aging brain while showering this morning ......... The Cap'n
davep
There are only 2 Ken Raichert in CA, one in Burbank, the other in LA. Any guesses?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 29 2006, 10:05 AM) *

There are only 2 Ken Raichert in CA, one in Burbank, the other in LA. Any guesses?

call them smile.gif
davep
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 29 2006, 10:53 AM) *

call them smile.gif

Thanks for volunteering. Keep me posted please.
otto
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 29 2006, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 29 2006, 10:53 AM) *

call them smile.gif

Thanks for volunteering. Keep me posted please.

He is in LA. If you guys wait, I will find out the rest.
davep
Thank you sir. Now we are making progress.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.