Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess what arrived today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
It will be a fun 3 day weekend.....95 3.6 w/ 40,0000 miles
IPB Image
So.Cal.914
Thats awsome. It makes me want to mumble a few words and sacrefice a small

animal, or two.
porschecb
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! When your done converting yours you can do mine. biggrin.gif
porschecb
Wow! Not to many people interested in your conversion. But I am! Lets meet sometime and do lunch. Your place or mine. Your skills are hard to come by in Sac. I think. You have for sure have taken the bull by the horns. Nice work and look forward to see your progress. clap56.gif mueba.gif thumb3d.gif
John
I'm drooling.

Be very careful when removing the exhaust. Take your time and try not to break the exhaust studs. I hear that can be a real PITA if that happens.

Take lots of pictures and share with us.
East coaster
Schweet..........your gonna love that in your car! I'm just getting the feel for mine and it's freakin' awesome. Everyone's mind goes to how fast the car will be, I think I'm most impressed so far with how drivable the car is.......incredible torque curve!
smj
Porschecb: There are many people interested, they're just waiting and watching with bated breath. smile.gif

Seriously, I've developed a remarkably strong interest in all things related to the flat six since I got the news that the one in my recently acquired -6 is in need of a rebuild...
PRS914-6
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Sep 1 2006, 08:48 PM) *

I'm drooling.

Be very careful when removing the exhaust. Take your time and try not to break the exhaust studs. I hear that can be a real PITA if that happens.

Take lots of pictures and share with us.

I stripped all the non essential goodies including the HE's No problems with removal. I can't believe how much crap there is. I bet I removed 150lbs worth of smog, AC, PS pump, blowers, HE's, brackets, etc. No wonder a 993 won't go....When I first unwrapped from packaging, I said "holy shit" Couldn't see the engine under all those items and hoses. Once you get it off, it looks pretty simple.

Looks like the motor is in good shape. I have two worries but not major. I might have to replace the alternator bearings and for some reason, one of the spark plug wires have been nearly cut and taped up. Not a big deal, I just always wonder what was someone doing to do that...There are also some subtle indications that someone was tinkering on that side.

I'm going to replace the main seals, valve cover gaskets and timing cover gaskets while I have it on the stand.

Here is the "junk"
IPB Image
smj
Say Paul, I like your gauge/dash setup (from the 3.6 build web site), but what are you doing for a fuel gauge? Just using the trip meter? Or is there another gauge somewhere not shown?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(smj @ Sep 2 2006, 01:31 AM) *

Say Paul, I like your gauge/dash setup (from the 3.6 build web site), but what are you doing for a fuel gauge? Just using the trip meter? Or is there another gauge somewhere not shown?

I am using a 2" VDO guage in the dash immediately left of the steering column in the dash. The dash is already recovered and hole cut. Note the steel welded in on the end to eliminate the radio. (Ipod only)
IPB Image
ferlutt
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Sep 1 2006, 04:57 PM) *

It will be a fun 3 day weekend.....95 3.6 w/ 40,0000 miles
IPB Image

Dude where did u buy this engine?? its like having a deja vu, i just bought mine like 1 month ago and it looks exactly the same, as a matter of fact they told me it had 40k miles and it is a 95 engine.... did u buy it from LA dismantlers by any chance???

Those guys were a royal PITA, they sent me an 87 when i payed for an 01 and then found out 01 is water coole so they were gonna send me a 98 and they sent a boxster engine, finally after threatening and calls to BBB they sent me one exactly like yours.
beerchug.gif
Now im just waiting fro my parts from patrick motorsports like engine mount, front oil cooler etc.....

I cant wait to see mine going, let me know how yours run?? i previously had a 2.7 and it was a blast even when it had 75lbs/ft which is why i am awaping engines, but it felt like the thing could fly!!
Good luck eith the installation
McMark
Looks familiar. Got two of 3.6 projects going on right now. You're welcome to come check them out anytime. Let me know if you need any tips. wink.gif Looks like the 3.6 is becoming the new popular engine swap.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(ferlutt @ Sep 9 2006, 01:42 AM) *

did u buy it from LA dismantlers by any chance???

Those guys were a royal PITA, they sent me an 87 when i payed for an 01 and then found out 01 is water coole so they were gonna send me a 98 and they sent a boxster engine, finally after threatening and calls to BBB they sent me one exactly like yours.

Yep, LAPD. I have to say that you are right......They are a royal PITA. I negotiated the deal and it did not go without problems. They can come up with the funniest excuses. My deal (in writing) included intake to exhaust tip and all parts needed for conversion. The engine arrived without any exhaust, fuel pump, starter, etc. Don't need the exhaust but do I have it sold already. When I called, they said "The exhaust was not included" I said "read the contract". Then they told me they shipped it. Waited a week, no arrival. I called again and got "I thought you didn't need these right now" I said what's the difference, you told me you shipped it.....

I have to say that overall I am happy with the final purchase. I called my friend at the Porsche dealership to trace the engine to chassis #, verified with Carfax, check all work done at the dealerships etc and it does appear that it got crashed right after a 40k service.. You should check the #'s and confirm your engine. Make sure that your wire harness and computer is a 55 pin connector

The sheetmetal to do right is very time consuming and I can post some pictures if you like. It took me a weekend to do mine but it looks factory now and all powder coated.

Also, I changed my front and rear main seals, chain cover seals and valve cover seals. I'm also going to replace the distributer belt.

Sammy
no wonder a 993 won't go?
now i've heard everything.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Sammy @ Sep 9 2006, 07:33 AM) *

no wonder a 993 won't go?
now i've heard everything.

Well, it depends what you consider "go" In my opinion, the 911 line has gotten so heavy and at well over 3000 lbs and about 280hp, it's NOT a rocket. The 993 is a very nice comfortable sports car but to me it has lost much of the "performance" we expect from Porsche due to the weight. They add more comfort goodies like PS, longer wheel base, AC, PS, and they have to get more HP just to break even on the power/weight ratio. Compare the power/weight ratios of other late model performance cars and Porsche is NOT the cream of the crop.....

Hell, you might think the 993 is a rocket. Maybe you drive VW's driving-girl.gif but I have 2 buddies who own 993's and they are both less than enthusiastic about the performance of the car. It's just too heavy. Nice car but heavy.

Now drop that 993 in a 914 and you have serious performance car and that's what I call "go"...........
PRS914-6
Here is a picture of all the sheetmetal mods you need to do.....
Click to view attachment
Sammy
Hmm, lets see. I drove a turbo 2 liter 914 for a while, then a V8 914, now I have a turbocharged 911SC with about the same power as a 993 and about 400# less weight. No, I'm not used to driving VWs.

A 933 is not a drag racer, thank god for that. All we need here is a bunch of mullet-headed drag racers talking about NOS all the time. No, a 993 is all about a classic GT sports car. It does everything well except drag race. Plenty of power, great handling, enough refinement so that you don't go freaking crazy at all the squeaks and rattles and rough ride you get in a less refined (pos) car. a 993 is something you can cruise fast in, fly through the twisties, and still take to vegas without getting all worn out in the process. A decent 993 will go 160 to 170 mph, not too shabby.
If they are less than enthusiastic about the performance of a 993 they are not using it correctly for it's intended purpose. Maybe they should sell the 993s and buy a HEMI and go redneck bowling (drag racing).
ferlutt
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 9 2006, 01:56 AM) *

Looks familiar. Got two of 3.6 projects going on right now. You're welcome to come check them out anytime. Let me know if you need any tips. wink.gif Looks like the 3.6 is becoming the new popular engine swap.

It would be great if u posted more pictures of your project, u are obviously ahead of mine so a few pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I got a new engine mount today from patrick motorsports but lastnight when reading on pelican parts i realized teh one i currently have is the same as yours, not a custom one so i am returning it, but im still waiting for more things to come such as headers, throw out bearing etc.... this guys are sending me all the things in chapters!!!

At least these guys are helpful, not like porsche dismantlers.... by the way thx on the tip, i will have my engine number checked.

One more question, and i think this is a silly one.... do i have to upgrade my tachometer and speedometer?? i read u are changing yours.

Thx
PRS914-6
A little more progress.....A trial fit
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Sep 16 2006, 07:45 PM) *

A little more progress.....A trial fit
Click to view attachment

well, that actually looks very promising for my GT3 oiltank !
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
914werke
Is that a 901 ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 16 2006, 07:58 PM) *

Is that a 901 ohmy.gif

i'm going to run my 901 as well ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
ferlutt
Hey bro!

What are u doing about the crank sensor??, my mechanic told me we might have to drill a hole so we can put the sensor on the tranny, im using a 915, your is a 901 right? i have no idea what that means! WTF.gif is mine newer or yours is newer and it comes with the sensor hole on it or we dont need it at all??

Anyways, u are waaaaaaaay ahead of my project, i will take some pics tomorrow and opefuly i will start working on it this weekend if i get the parts from patrick motorsports....

Very nice job man!

Congrats!!
PRS914-6
The sensor is bolted to the engine and you have to cut a semi-circle hole in the 901 tranny housing to clear it. Easy 5 minute job
ferlutt
U got any pics of that 5 minute job??
PRS914-6
Getting closer. The engine is ready to installl permanently. Sure looks better with all that crap removed. Painting the trunks and engine bay this weekend and the installation can begin next week.....life is good.

Click to view attachment
ferlutt
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Sep 22 2006, 12:29 AM) *

Getting closer. The engine is ready to installl permanently. Sure looks better with all that crap removed. Painting the trunks and engine bay this weekend and the installation can begin next week.....life is good.

Click to view attachment

What did u do to the fan shroud??? i see u have something like a cover and then u attach what seems like a vacuum line. im still not sure what that hose does but by the looks i think it is the timing advance? like and old engine???

Couple more questions... i tried installing the patrick M single pulley thing (black anodized) but the alternator shaft is too small and it wont come out on the other side, yours seem smaller than the one i have, is yours from Patric M as well????
I had to leave the OEM one instead.

Did you fabricate the mount for the coils or is it an aftermarket???

Thanks
PRS914-6
It's an aluminum cover I fabricated that replaces the old rubber boot that was used for the heater blower. It's just cleaner this way.

The hose going to it is the vent for the distributor that keeps the internal distributor belt alive. You have to have a vent or the distributor belt won't last

Yes, it a PM pulley adapter. The first one I had to send back due to being too small where it presses in to the fan itself. 01." too small. They sent me a new one in a day that was correct. Measure your alternator shaft and compare to the hole in the pulley adapter. You are aware that you have to press the old bearing assembly out of the pulley? Make sure you support it close to the bearing when you press or you will break the fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.