Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:....but 914 related ......trying to find a lost title !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I was given a '72 roller several months ago for working on another '72 for a guy at work. He has never had a title for the one that was given to me. Structurally, it is in better shape than the '76 that I am using for parts. I have the name and address of the last registered (1979) owner, but am having no luck getting in touch with him. I know there are a few ways of coming up with a title, but don't want to have to mess with them if I don't have to. Really don't wanna part this one out, but I may have to. Had plans for a V8 if I can get a title to it !!! Any help appreciated!!!!
Rand
Give Zabasearch a try.
morph
i dont know texas rules,but apply for a lost title.depending on the state rule should take 30 days to get one.
james

David_S
QUOTE(morph @ Sep 2 2006, 12:03 AM) *

i dont know texas rules,but apply for a lost title.depending on the state rule should take 30 days to get one.
james

I asked about that .....got the answer of "person that it was last registered to has to apply for the lost title. He/she also has to have a copy of a photo I.D. along with the application". If I can't get one this route, I may have to go through the courts and file for it as an abandoned vehicle, and end up with a title from the Sherriff's Dept. I didn't really want to go that route, but I may have to ....
MBowman325
QUOTE(David_S @ Sep 1 2006, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(morph @ Sep 2 2006, 12:03 AM) *

james

I asked about that .....got the answer of "person that it was last registered to has to apply for the lost title. He/she also has to have a copy of a photo I.D. along with the application". If I can't get one this route, I may have to go through the courts and file for it as an abandoned vehicle, and end up with a title from the Sherriff's Dept. I didn't really want to go that route, but I may have to ....

My neighbor went through this with two of his bug bodies. He went to the DMV, and they told him to send a certified letter to the last listed owner. If it came back or was returned for some reason, you took the unopened letter to the DMV and they'd start work on getting you the title. He actually got replies on both of his, one of them was the widow of the owner, and it took quite a while to get it from her. There's some notory stuff involved as well. If you get the info from the DMV they charge $2. (Imagine that, $2 buys your privacy).

Also one of his had a mechanics lein. I think he paid it and got a letter saying it was cleared. This was just last year, so unless they've changed something, there/s no need to get the Sherriff involved. (Have a couple of those as friends too if I need to ask and double check)
BMartin914
Good timing for your question, David. I am going through the same thing right now so I can give you a rundown of what I have to do here in Colorado - which is pretty involved...

1) Get the VIN certified by the CSP (state patrol).

2) Request a title and lien search, if no record, you're good. If someone is on record as owning the vehicle and still holding title, you need to, as you mentioned, send a registered letter to the last registered owner asking them to release their interest in the vehicle.

I have actually just found the owner of the car I bought, so I am in the process of having him release his interest - I do have returned cert. letters from his old address in case. wink.gif He's about on his 10th address in the past 5 years in 4 different states. blink.gif

3) If there is a lien on the car, you must have the bank give you a notarized lien release letter. I've done this. As long as nothing is still owed on the car, they'll give you one with no hassle.

4) Establish the retail value through appraisal by a dealer.

5) Purchase a "Surety Bond" for 2 x the [now established] retail value of the vehicle.

6) Submit appropriate paperwork to the state for the issuance of a new title

It's a long list, but has to be done if you want to drive the car - at least here in CO.

Hope it's not this involved in TX, but after these steps are taken here, you are issued a clear title, which is important to me.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.