Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the Road Again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
I have to share one of my little successes. I am not much of a mechanic but I decided that I wanted to swap a 2.0 into my '72. In January I bought a used "73 2.0 motor along with the tranny and boxes of parts. Click to view attachment Up on the jacksatands went the car and the anticipation was high. Well the garage is unheated and the winter was long but I bundled up and got the old 1.7 disconnected and ready to drop. The rain continued and the 2.0 sat under a plastic tarp in the driveway. I knew it was there because my wife reminded me every day.
Click to view attachment
Finally the weather started to warm up and back to the garage I went. I already had a sideshifter in my '72 so since it was a known I would use it in the swap. But the 2nd gear syncho was getting bad. The PO said on decel that the 2 liter smoked. And my CV joint boots were leaking. This was starting to look like more than just an engine swap - sound familiar. So with my clear understanding of my ability I closed the garage and decided to think abit more.

In May another member of this great forum was looking for a 1.7. We made the deal and so now I had to get back to the garage. Finally pulled the 1.7 and delivered it. So that was easy. Pulled the now green slimmy plastic tarp off the 2.0 and drug it into the garage. With some fear I pulled off the tin and then the heads. Had them rebuilt. Cleaned up the cylinders, replaced the rings and put it all back together. Not too painful.

Then I looked at the tranny. I had never seen the inside of a tranmission before. I read what I could find and dove in. Ended up only replacing the 1st and 2nd gear synchros. Every thing else looked good. When I bolted the tranny to the motor I was feeling pretty darned good.

The CV joints were a little bit of a challenge because they didn't want to come off the stafts. But I prevailed there as well and 2 weeks ago the motor was ever so slowly raised up into place and bolted in.

Execept for one wire that I will someday figure out and the heater fan which I am working on to keep the old style fan the project is done. Two nights ago I turned the key. There was the few seconds when the fuel surged through the lines that had been empty since Jan and I had a slight fear that something was wrong. Then in fired. Not a cough and sputter like my pessimistic mind expected, but a nice even (everything works) sound. clap56.gif

Last night it came down off the jackstands after 8 months and I drove off around the neighborhood. The 2 liter engine runs so good, the tranny shifts nice and smooth and there are not clunks or globs of grease from the CV joints. driving.gif

Hooray. This has been a great experience. I learned that with the advice from many ofyou these cars are not magic ( the D jet FI is still magic to me) and most people can do the work needed to keep them on the road.

So givemebeer.gif and see you on the road.
Lou W
smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations, another sucess story. "On the road again..." smile.gif
JerryP
thumb3d.gif Great work. Thanks for the story.
SGB
oh yeah!

Cold nights in the garage are a common memory around here I think...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.