Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 minute windshield removal process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mcbain77
So, today I removed the final piece of the car to get the tub ready for media blast and color change. I thought this would be a straight forward and low impact excercise. As you will see, I was dead wrong.

The trim came off easy enough and I didn't damage any of the aluminum if you can believe it. I started on the windshield by making a hole in the adhesive and threading a small gauge wound guitar string through to work like a saw. I was making pretty good progress when somehow managed to put too much pressure on the glass rounding a corner and cracked the damn thing. I stood back and looked at this $$$ mistake and thought for a second. Then I did what any sane and rational person would do.

If any of you have ever taken a BFH to a windshield in some road rage related incident then you know what I am talking about. I was able to remove the glass in less than 5 minutes and work out all of the frustration I have ever had with the car. If you have the means I highly recommed it. Be sure to wear eye protection.

P.S. - I was a fucking surgeon with that hammer.

happy11.gif
VegasRacer
smash.gif We want to see the carnage.
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Stuie
That's great!

I have a cracked windshield on the car and a good spare in the garage to put on.

Your method seems quite straight forward!

How tough was getting the trim off safely? Did you use a spatula to find the clips? (the method in one of my manuals)

Curious as I am very close to the attempt.

Stu
mcbain77
I didn't use a spatula but a putty knife and worked it around slowly until the trim was easy to remove. When I said I didn't damage the aluminum I really meant I didn't kink it. It wasn't 100% straight but I am going to replace it with black rubber anyway.

As for the carnage . . .

VaccaRabite
I did the same damn thing with my windshield several months ago. Except was using a 3-in-1 scraper instead of the guitar saw.

Ended up breaking it ut with a 16 pound maul.

Zach
John
I usually start with a modified razor blade and work all around the windshield from the inside before I start to try the piano wire method. I once cut one out and never even used the piano wire.

The biggest trick is to go very slowly and carefully.

I usually get one corner loose and then keep applying gentle pressure from the inside to help increase the gap in the butyl as it is cut.

I once increased the crack size in a windshield so that the glass guy would replace rather than try to repair it.....
markb
I watched bondo remove and replace his a few weekends ago. I've rarely been able to get one out without breaking it. Hats off to those who can. I like the hammer method. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.