Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 for sale in San Francisco!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grayson
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the thumbnail while searching for "911" at cars.com but yes, this is a true 916!

916 on cars.com

dealer site
I can't believe it! I emailed the dealer asking if I could just come by and *look* at the car. I instantly saved all the images and made an archive on my website.

My archive

Its in san francisco, us SF guys should make a pilgrimage asap.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(grayson @ Sep 2 2006, 12:32 PM) *

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the thumbnail while searching for "911" at cars.com but yes, this is a true 916!

916 on cars.com

dealer site
I can't believe it! I emailed the dealer asking if I could just come by and *look* at the car. I instantly saved all the images and made an archive on my website.

My archive

Its in san francisco, us SF guys should make a pilgrimage asap.

It is the same one that was on Ebay last week. Very nice, but hugely over priced in my opinion. driving.gif
grayson
Oh I didnt see it on ebay (which means this is probably a repost). How much did they want?

It is the same one that was on Ebay last week. Very nice, but hugely over priced in my opinion. driving.gif

nomore9one4
It ended at $200,000 with reserve Not met. confused24.gif
Boojum
QUOTE(grayson @ Sep 2 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Oh I didnt see it on ebay (which means this is probably a repost). How much did they want?

It got bit up to $200,000 last I saw, and it didn't meet reserve, so there's no saying what the actual "price" is. It's whatever someone is willing to pay.

Being so extremely rare, I think Jay Leno would have snatched it up in a second if it were a real example of a delivered prototype car, because he gets off on that sort of thing.

There's some doubt to how real it is, let's put it at that.
QUOTE(Boojum @ Sep 2 2006, 01:55 PM) *

It got bit up to $200,000 last I saw, and it didn't meet reserve, so there's no saying what the actual "price" is. It's whatever someone is willing to pay.

Being so extremely rare, I think Jay Leno would have snatched it up in a second if it were a real example of a delivered prototype car, because he gets off on that sort of thing.

Saw / checked out thsi 916 at the Monterey Historics in 98 ( they honor Porsche that year). i spoke to the owner, he mentions that he bought it from back EAST.

Based on my conversation with him, he's looking for 300-400k for that baby smile.gif
Allan
So the 916 came with a space saver spare?
nomore9one4
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 2 2006, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Boojum @ Sep 2 2006, 01:55 PM) *

Based on my conversation with him, he's looking for 300-400k for that baby smile.gif

He is screwy.gif
Randal
Any racing history on the 11 units built?
Boojum
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 2 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Saw / checked out thsi 916 at the Monterey Historics in 98 ( they honor Porsche that year). i spoke to the owner, he mentions that he bought it from back EAST.

Yeah, there's supposed to be one in the US, brought in via a dealer in Florida, with factory AC installed, making it one of the most special Porsches ever brought to the US.

The thing that bothered me is that there's no real verification that it is The One. I'd think that every major part could somehow be traced back to the factory so as to get a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche or something. If this was the case, I expect that Porsche might like it to come back to Stuttgart for an exhibition at their museum, and it would have no problem finding a home even at those prices.
davep
What more verification do you need than the VIN? It is not as though this car hasn't been mentioned here about 10 times in the last few years. It's history is well documented. And, no, these cars were not raced. Most of the 914/6 GT time in the spotlight was drawing to a close at the time the 916 was 'delivered'. The 914/6 GT was competitive until the 911 got the 2.8L engine, then they became also-rans as the top teams moved on.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=59675
anthony
QUOTE(Boojum @ Sep 2 2006, 04:33 PM) *

The thing that bothered me is that there's no real verification that it is The One. I'd think that every major part could somehow be traced back to the factory so as to get a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche or something. If this was the case, I expect that Porsche might like it to come back to Stuttgart for an exhibition at their museum, and it would have no problem finding a home even at those prices.

Porsche probabably has as many 916 as they need and the ones they have are more historically significant. Porsche management doesn't even love the 914. They never ever mention it. They claimed the Boxster was modeled after the Spyder as if that was Porsche's mid-engined budget car.

grasshopper
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 2 2006, 01:48 PM) *

Gustl might have some info on this car. confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 2 2006, 11:48 PM) *

a Porsche 916 got never raced - so, no racing history

there is just a very little rumor that I heared quite a while ago and there is absolutely no confirmation till now: #0015 was used for a little pre-race-testing (to learn the sections - so, not at race speed) from a well known factory driver - and he wrecked the car; this should happend prior to the '71 Rallye Monte Carlo

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Boojum @ Sep 3 2006, 01:33 AM) *

Yeah, there's supposed to be one in the US, brought in via a dealer in Florida, with factory AC installed, making it one of the most special Porsches ever brought to the US.

the car you're talking about is #0012
it was delivered to Brumos, Jacksonville FL
it doesn't have a factory AC, Brumos installed it

currently there are 5 Porsche 916 in the USA

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Boojum @ Sep 3 2006, 01:33 AM) *

If this was the case, I expect that Porsche might like it to come back to Stuttgart for an exhibition at their museum, and it would have no problem finding a home even at those prices.

If Porsche displays a car at their Stuttgart museum, they want it to be absolutely original. The 916 for sale has got the wrong colour as the first owner ordered a respray in the current colour.
I really doubt that Porsche would buy a car for about 300k and then start a rebuilt to factory specifications ...

btw - there is this little rumor that Porsche still own the wrecked 916 #0015 - and that they are currently restoring it to factory specifications - to be displayed as a highlight for the new museum in Stuttgart, that opens next year ...

we will see ...

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 3 2006, 02:19 AM) *

Porsche probabably has as many 916 as they need and the ones they have are more historically significant.

what are you talking about? blink.gif

Porsche possibly own the wrecked #0015 ... and that's just a 3rd hand rumor ...

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Sep 3 2006, 02:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 2 2006, 01:48 PM) *

Gustl might have some info on this car. confused24.gif

#0020 - originally silver metallic - resprayed by the first owner

no known racing history

IPB Image

wavey.gif Gustl
Joe Bob
I was the highest bidder for most of the auction...the seller wouldn't answer ANY questions...and HE sent the first email. Hope he chokes on his investment....
grayson
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 3 2006, 08:37 AM) *

I was the highest bidder for most of the auction...the seller wouldn't answer ANY questions...and HE sent the first email. Hope he chokes on his investment....

Well, I emailed the dealership with a gushing email about being a 914 nut (I am even though I never post here, and I sold my old 74 =() and they said to come on buy during business hours with a camera.
Joe Bob
Just got an ebay notice that it's been relisted....
Gustl
didn't find it yet confused24.gif

could you please post the link - or the item number?

wavey.gif Gustl
anthony
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 3 2006, 12:02 AM) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 3 2006, 02:19 AM) *

Porsche probabably has as many 916 as they need and the ones they have are more historically significant.

what are you talking about? blink.gif

Porsche possibly own the wrecked #0015 ... and that's just a 3rd hand rumor ...

wavey.gif Gustl

I'm talking about the Piech 916 and the Ferry Porsche 916 with the 908 engines. I was just assuming that they are currently in the Porsche museum and would be considered more historically significant than this Brumos delivered 916.
Gustl
oh, well, I see ... you're talking about the 914-8, not a 916 ... there's a big difference ...

wavey.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.