Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable shift for 901 side shift transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevekh
I'm looking to find a commercially available cable shift set-up for my 901 side-shift transmission. I have done some searches and see that there is 930 stuff out there. Some guys have fabbed stuff for 915's and tail shift 901's. Does anybody have any experience with anything for a side-shift 901?? If nothing is availble commercially, does anyone know of a decent set-up that can be followed? I saw Bondo's (great looking BTW), but I'm limited to how much machining I can actually get togeter. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cap'n Krusty
Why? The original setup has served it's purpose well for 33 years, and there are shifter lever/gate setups that offer precision shifting for those of us who lack whatever it is that makes the OE setup easy to use. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif

Cables are cool if you can get them done for less than a Renn shift which is a pretty darn fine unit. The cables allow you to put the shifter anywhere you want, even the roof if you were so inclined. Ultimate cusomizability.
TonyAKAVW
I am curerntly using a home-built cable shifter for my side-shift 901. I'm using a Toyota MR2 shifter. I have not done much machining, as I don't have access to a mill aside from that of a friend who lives about an hour away.

If you take a look at my Subaru conversion progress thread I have some preliminary pictures of the setup. I'll be posting more pictures soon as I get it really working well.

The cost of doing this conversino is not too bad when compared with the various alternatives. So far this has cost me somewhere aronud $200 with the majority of that cost being the push pull cables. A Rennshifter or any other high performance shifter upgrade starts at around $500 as far as I know...

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.