So I got one of those updated 'blade' style fuse boxes from Pelican a couple days ago. I was thinkin, "Right. Quick wire swichteroo and I've got a slightly more solid electrics. Right?" WRONG!! For starters, the old fuse box had the terminals sticking up with the opposing wires coming in close to eachother. The new fuse box, however, has it's terminals laying flat and sticking away from eachother with the actual box in the middle. So it takes a lot more wire to hook it up. It wasn't long before I ran into a few wires that didn't have enough length outside of the loom to fit. In my frustration with that problem, I also mixed some wires up. Oh boy! I decided to call it a night at that point.
So today I decided to tackle the problem. I went out and cut the loom back to free some of the wires up. Then I began the arguous task of figuring out which wires did what; one by one. I can't go by the color code because so much was so cheaply changed on the car before I got it. So I'm going by the labels on the new box that tell me what everything's supposed to be, the old box that shows me how the terminals relate to eachother, and a lot of plugging, praying, labeling and remembering.
So far I've got my headlights, brights, flashers, and turn signals to work when they're supposed to and on the proper terminals. Still, there's a lot of connected hot leads that come in in multiples that I have to find, and a TON of wires that seem to lead nowhere. Complicating the matter are a sterio that doesn't work, a heater that's not hooked up, and interior lights that are burned out. I may not need them, but the wires are still there just to confuse me. I also found a power connection for the relay board in the engine compartment hooked directly to a power lead on a double connector. It doesn't even go through a fuse, and I don't think that it's supposed to. Weird.
I've certainly got my work cut out for me. None the less, I think all this stuff needs to be sorted through anyways, so it may as well be now while she's not running anyway. Also, I had a REALLY bad day yesterday with the female troubles, and this is a great distraction. It's almost as tedious as a woman, but not smart enough to stab me in the back as soon as I turn around. finger.gif
Just thought I'd bore you with that. I'll shut up now.
Mark D.