Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock distributor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
The PO's mechanic has successfully ruined everything he's touched. So since I have replaced the engine and tranmission due to his special touch, I also removed the dual point disty he installed according to my receipts.

I have a factory dizzy right now, and have been searching the vac hookup. My car is a dual carb conversion and has a vac port on each carb. Can I run one to each port on the dizzy canister?

The EFI diagram shows two ports on the TB, but I'm not sure if they are both after the throttle plate, or one before and one after, or if it even matters.

Translation of my babbling; how should I hook up this disty with dual carbs?

Dan

jimkelly
we just put a single carbed 1.8 in my car - a vaccum guage would help you to determine which carb/manifold ports provide vaccum when you need it. You need to run a vacum line from your carb that is pulling a vaccum for advance under acceleration - and - and vaccum line that pulls retard when you let off the gas.

You might be able to get away with not running the retard VL - but you for sure will need the advance VL.

Jim
Rand
I have a factory dizzy right now, and have been searching the vac hookup. My car is a dual carb conversion and has a vac port on each carb. Can I run one to each port on the dizzy canister?

Are the vacuum ports on the carbs above or below the butterfly? That will determine how you plumb them.

Vacuum taps BELOW the butterfly go to the retard side of the vacuum canister (the larger tube pointing more towards the passenger side) so they retard the timing at idle.

Taps ABOVE the butterfly go to the advance side, to advance with throttle open.

If both carbs have the taps on the same side of the butterfly, don't just connect one to each side of the vacuum unit. It would be better to Y them together and connect to the appropriate side.

I run FI though, so let's wait to here from more carb guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.