Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hitch Mount Bike Racks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
There have been several discussions in the past months about bicycling and bike racks that wil work on our 914s. I need some advise/opinions on hitch mount bike racks for use on larger vehicles.

I currently have a Performance 3-bike hitch mount rack, similar to the picture, that worked fine for hauling our standart frame mountain and road bikes. My son and I are looking at purchasing a couple of dual suspension mountain bikes. My concern is whether or not these bikes will fit this rack. So, what do you think? If you have a DS bike, how do you haul it?

Thanks.
grantsfo
Here are a few things to consider with this type of rack. Bikes tend to sway and hit each other. You need to make sure you have a pad that keeps bikes from making contact. I made a piece of foam rubber that held the bikes apart and fastened it with toe clip straps. I used this type of rack on my Jeep years ago.

You should also be concerned about hieght of the rear tires from the ground. It only takes one steep driveway or a speedbump to wreck your day if the bikes are not sitting high enough.

As far as bikes fitting it depends on top tube configuration. Here is something else to consider , if the bikes have thin wall aluminum top tubes I wouldnt use this kind of rack as the clamps would be on the thinest part of the tube.

914's are a real pain when it comes to moving bikes around. Back in the 80's I mounted tradional skewer and tunnel pieces on my 914, but that meant drilling into the car etc.
STL914
Grant,

Thanks for your reply. I've used this same rack for years and know quite well the pros and cons associated with it. My question pertained to the rack being able to actually hold the top tube due to its oval or rectangluer shape. My other bikes have conventional round top tubes and the rack works well with them.

Have you carried a bike having oval or rectangluar top tubes in your rack?
Elliot_Cannon
I might have it installed at the GAF. Oops, you're in STL.
mrobin
hi

you can get a adjustable rod at a bike shop, they attach to the stem and the seat post. that way you have a stright bar to attach to the rack. they were originally
made to put womans bikes on racks, but work great on dual suspension bikes as well.

cheers.
mike
STL914
QUOTE(mrobin @ Sep 4 2006, 01:54 AM) *

hi

you can get a adjustable rod at a bike shop, they attach to the stem and the seat post. that way you have a stright bar to attach to the rack. they were originally
made to put womans bikes on racks, but work great on dual suspension bikes as well.

cheers.
mike

Thanks Mike,

That's the type of information I'm looking for. I'm going to check that out
today.

Elliot,

Your set up is what I want to do for my 914. I've bookmarked another thread where you detailed the pieces you made to mount the cross bar to the targa bar.
Do you happen to have a photo with the bike attached?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.