Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling heads w/ engine inside car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
Is it possible or even advisable to pull the heads off with the engine still in the car?
Thanks!
Konrad 72/4
mihai914
Possible maybe, advisable NO. It's far simpler and quicker to just pull the whole engine/transmission combo, it's easy to do and there is an article on Pelican that you can follow.
Allan
agree.gif I don't think it's possible.
pete-stevers
it might be possible....so you want to be the first?
more work that way.....way easier to drop the motor /tranny.....
type47
agree.gif very much worth the effort to drop the engine first, not saying you can't pull heads with engine in car, but look at all the stuff you need access to, to remove the heads. in my opinion, it would save time to drop the engine first. save time and agony trying to get to all the things required to be removed before removing the heads IF they don't hit the side of the engine bay before they clear the head studs!

need to remove or at least disconnect from heads:

intake runners
rocker arms
valve covers
engine cooling tin
alternator (?)

(all i can think of at the moment)
krazykonrad
Thanks! An engine drop it is! beerchug.gif
Konrad
ClayPerrine
Actually it can be done, and I have done it. I had to pull one of theheads on Betty's car years ago to fix a broken exhaust stud, and I didnt' have a garage, just a carport and a shed. The motor and tranny combo wouldn't fit in the shed, so I just removed all the necessary components, and dropped down one side of the motor low enough to clear the suspension. It worked, but I would rather pull the motor to do it.

JPB
Its no big deal, just ubolt the motor mounts in the front and drop it down just enough to do the job. If ya have to work on your back it may be a PITA.

beer.gif Gluck!
alpha434
Way to give him the run around. Come on, guys. Always opt to exert the least energy first, and then apply more if more is needed. If he's got the engine lowered in the car, then all it's going to take is another 2 bolts out and another drop of the jack to get it the rest of the way. But if he can do the job "in-car," it'll be half as much work to put it back in.
JPB
agree.gif Two more bolts latter, then the wires, then the ground cables, then....

beer.gif Less is more, more or less. Me lazy.
SLITS
4 bolts for the tranny mounts.

1 nut for the ground strap.

8 bolts for the CVs

Two fuel line disconnect

Throttle cable disconnect

Clutch cable disconnect

Speedo cable disconnect

Muffler removal (or at least rear valence)

Plus...how to break the rear tranny mounts by dropping the engine to far and stressing the ears.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.