Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: paint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
sorry you guys, quarts will do fine
i may be painting my bros car this winter, and will be repainting all compartments...we will respray the entire car....
and am wondering how much paint i will need.....aprox of course
TimT
Ive just finished spraying my 911

3 quarts of Autoair colors base to cover the car

then 1 gal of SPI clearcoat.

assorted other surfacers etc..

SGB
Is clearcoat a requirement for todays paint? I'm just curious... There is allways a repaint in the future for some car of mine.
tod914
I just had some touch up work done on mine, we used single stage.
URY914
Steve,
Just cover the whole car with deck-els. It will be easier. happy11.gif
Mark Henry
What colour? you can almost double it for some yellows and blues.
If your doing the trunks etc you my need an extra quart or two.

Base/clear is my choice and it's easy to fix.

Get a good mask.

BTW even in Canada they still sell paint by the pint/quart/gal.
Sammy
depends. you gonna put it on with a roller or a brush?
Oh, you said spray. Never mind wink.gif

Many moons ago I did my first 914 in dark blue mettalic laquer.
1.75 gallons of blue, 1.5 gallons of clear.
Of course I had to sand 1/4 of that off to make it look like a mirror, and I might have gone a little overboard.

With a single stage paint with good coverage I'd say 1 gallon of paint plus reducer should be enough.
John
I just looked this up.

When I last painted my 914 (16 years ago), I used 1.5 gal etching primer, 1 Gal color (silver Metallic) basecoat, 1.5 Gal Clearcoat. I had less than a pint of any of it left over. The paint store guy estimated it well.

The paint has held up great over the years, but I am going to install steel flares in the future and was looking at paint costs before I start this little project.
alpha434
Forget paint. Use wallpaper instead.
J P Stein
On bare metal:
A gallon of etch primer....used about 3/4 of it
A gallon of hi build....same as above
A gallon & a quart of single stage yellow
Mueller
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 3 2006, 03:09 PM) *

Is clearcoat a requirement for todays paint? I'm just curious... There is allways a repaint in the future for some car of mine.

Yes and no...depends on the paint..the paint Tim used is water-based and must be clearcoated with a urethane based clear for protection...

Rusty
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 4 2006, 12:43 AM) *

i may be painting my bros car this winter, and will be repainting all compartments...we will respray the entire car....

I keep a folded up piece of paper in my wallet... it's a Karaoke Request Card from 1999. On the back, is a shopping list from when I painted the Bumblebee. Remember, this shopping list is for PPG dual-stage paint, and I only painted the exterior plus door jams.

1 qt wash primer
1 qt wash primer hardener

2 qts primer
1 pt hardener

3 qts black (base coat)
2 qts clear coat
1 pt clear hardener

reducer (per specs, use same reducer in primer and paint)

A tip... paint is like anything else... you get what you pay for. Cheap paints often have less pigment, so it means more coats to cover. That "savings" becomes false economy.

Hope this helps,
Rusty smoke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 3 2006, 01:43 PM) *

Pete I am a painter by trade and can tell you that the amount of paint needed will depend on the brand of paint used also. I assume most here use "cheaper" paints and will always require more coats than a higher grade paint. By cheaper I include Dupont, Sikkens and on down the line. High end paint in my opinion are limited to Glasurit and Spies Hecker (I use Spies) Spies and Glasurit have a much higher solid content and therefore cover much quicker than the other brands. I have done cars in white that were coated in 2 coats with Spies and have had to use 6-7 coats of Dupont Chromabase for the same coverage! I got a laugh out of an episode of Am Hot Rod when Boyd changed a color to yellow and the poainter bitched about having to put 12 coats on top get coverage........Dupont sitting on the table rolleyes.gif

To give you an idea of $$$ which will varie by locality I recently repaired the fender on my Volvo with Spies at $65.00 a quart. Dupont would have been roughly $45.00 and Nason would have been around $30.00 That is only the price for the base coat.

Just remember you get what you pay for !!!

pete-stevers
i was planning to use base clear ppg paint , and he is leaning towards a silver right now
we will be changing the color from red to silver and we will be painting the front compartments, engine bay, sills, all inners ,rear trunk, and leave the interior as is.....
Mark Henry
Silver is another "low Hide" colour...and a bitch to repair and get a match.
Mark Henry
Scotty b where do you get Spies Hecker ? Like to try it sometime.

I got a Canadian email addy and it looks like it's from Dupont?

http://www.spieshecker.com/bowstreet/com.i...=67971109710097
Rick L
Just got mine done, almost exactly what you're doing...everything but the passenger compartment. 3 qts urethane yellow (tinted to match the original Saturn Yellow) left me just under a pint for touch ups. And 2qts primer.
scotty b
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 4 2006, 01:16 PM) *

Scotty b where do you get Spies Hecker ? Like to try it sometime.

I got a Canadian email addy and it looks like it's from Dupont?

http://www.spieshecker.com/bowstreet/com.i...=67971109710097

I get my paint from a local jobber shop but yes Spies is now owned by Dupont. I'm sure you've heard the xpresion "if you can't beat 'em buy 'em?" well Dupont did just that 4-5 years ago and immediately jacked up the prices on Spies products so the Dupont label wouldn't have that competition anymore. bs.gif Dupont also owns Nason, the cheapo paint I spoke of. Oh and to add to the desirability and reliability of both Spies and Glasurit.....they're both German and are the main paints used on the high end euro and specifically German autos since the way back times. Early VW's and Porsches wore Glasurit!
scotty b
Pete going from red to silver you DEFINITELY need to get a grey or white sealer coat over that red or you'll be putting silver on for a month trying to cover that red! Always go with a neutral (grey or white) sealer under most any color. Darker sealers are o.k. under black or dark blue but will effect the final color of the base coat. I use grey specifically because it has less of a lightening or darkening effect. Using the same color sealer as your base I.E. red sealer under red base makes it harder to tell if you have complete coverage on your base. beer.gif Where's the spray painting smilie????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.