Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: G warning Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche914dl
Hi, everybody,

Need some advice on the following symptoms on my 914:

1) “The “G” red warning light (Just next to the brake warning light) on the Left hand Gauge grow (dim light), and it will fully light up when I step on the brake, or turn the turn signal on.
2) When this “G” red warning light turn on, there is no brake light even when I step on the brake paddle.
3) The turn signal light do not signal neither.

Had the following strange findings:

1) I suspect the brake light switch had something to do with this as previously, when this “G” warning light light up, when I step the brake pedal and release it suddenly (pedal returns quickly), sometime the light will turn out. But now it won’t. I had checked the brake light switch and it seems normal.
2) When I switch on the head light, sometimes, it will made the “G” warning light turn off. Sometimes only.
3) When I turn off the engine for a period of time, say hours. It seems to reset the warning light. It does not turn on after I start the engine. But it will light up when I step the brake pedal.

Any suggestion? Where should I look into?

THanks alot.

Aaron Cox
it means you found your 914's G spot.....

ok ok... its the generator (alternator) warning light.......
porsche914dl
Hi, Arron,
I know that is the generator (alternator) warning light. But why does that turn on when I step on the brake or the turn signal light. Really do not know why.
THanks
ejm
brake, signal and gen lights are all powered off fuse #9.... check, clean, replace... do them all while your there
JPB
Let me speak from experience. When the Glight goes on, ya pump harder and she will love ya for it!!!

Don't forget to put your DC volt meter on the terminals when its runnig to see if it even charging.

sheeplove.gif Ohhh ya baby I'm sooo thereeee!!!! Dig my little dogy diggy dig diggg!!!
terrymason
I am by far not an expert, but I've heard that the light comes on when the generator is making more power than the battery. Clean that fuse, then look and see if you have a weak battery as well.
porsche914dl
Hi, all,
Thanks for the tips. Will check that out to see if that works.
Thanks alot.
Michael N
QUOTE(porsche914dl @ Sep 4 2006, 09:07 AM) *

Hi, all,
Thanks for the tips. Will check that out to see if that works.
Thanks alot.

Had the same problem last week. Fuse continued to blow when turn signal or hazzards were on. The fuse was blowing because I screwed up when installing front turn signals back on the car (Hot wire to the ground). After the fuse was gone then I had the same symptoms as you first described.
eg914
When you step on the brake is the tach also dropping to zero? If this is the case it is most deffinately the fuse. I have had this happen
porsche914dl
Hi all,
Thanks for all you input about the question.

Michael: Thanks. I don’t think I had touch / change the lights. All the brake light and the signal lights work fine (if the G light do not turn on). There is no brown fuse at all.

Eg 914: Thanks. The tach do not work since the PO. But the warning indicators of the same gauge (the temp. and the fuel indicator) moves / tremble one or two when I pump the brake (I mean to release the brake all a sudden). I will try the fuse.

To all: thanks I had try the following test out after reading all your inputs:

JPB: Thanks.
1) I had test the battery when the engine is off, it reads just below 12Volts (say 11.5 volts). And the test when the engine is running is 12.5 volts (seems like a little bit low / slow) but still charging. Is this normal?

Aaron, EJM & Terrymason: Thanks.
2) I take out the fuse and run the car, nothing happen. And the signal light still flashing (using the hazards button. I put back the fuse and start the car again, nothing special happen.

Will check out the other side of the fuse box the other time. Thanks a lot.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.