Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OFF TOPIC: CROCODILE HUNTER KILLED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
not trying to be morbid, but i was just surfing the net thinking of ways of how i'm going to get my car from washington to imperial beach (the motor is still in a gazzilion pieces) and i read that he died during a diving trip.

it always sad when someone dies, but when they're young and have a young family thats double hard. since i'm a husband and parent makes me want to give my wife and kid an extra hug and kiss.

Boojum
QUOTE(fatlando @ Sep 4 2006, 01:16 AM) *

not trying to be morbid, but i was just surfing the net thinking of ways of how i'm going to get my car from washington to imperial beach (the motor is still in a gazzilion pieces) and i read that he died during a diving trip.

it always sad when someone dies, but when they're young and have a young family thats double hard. since i'm a husband and parent makes me want to give my wife and kid an extra hug and kiss.

Goddamn, that is sad, and true according to Wikipedia... Says his heart was peirced by a stingray stinger while filming.

Crikey... *weeps* I always liked him, seemed like a good man.
zymurgist
According to the AP, the stingray's barb pierced his ribcage and poked a hole in his heart. Freakish and tragic. sad.gif
JPB
Me sad sad.gif He had such a passion for what he did. sad.gif

On another not and this is to all who use the line, "I'm gotta die of something," its a cold reminder that if we pull out the "ace of spades" to often, we usually pay alot sooner than we expect. I tried to talk my sister out of getting a Harley and she was so hard headed and unreasonable. She has the looks of a super model and all that could go away with one big SUV. Heck, teeners even aren't safe until the world is filled with micro cars.

beer.gif Ya ya, save all the I'm a safe driver crap, its the other guy I'm worried about.LOL Me still sad sad.gif Stevo gone sad.gif
Bruce Allert
Totally shocked sad.gif One of my favorite people because he was so in love with what he did. I wished I could be as passionate about something as he was.

CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

....b
Thorshammer

For those of us old enough to have seen Jacques Cousteau, Steve Irvin was the man that brought nature (especially crocs) to our homes.

My son and I watched his programs as often as we could. With my little guy sitting on my lap for the entire show (miraculous at 4 1/2). Everytime this happened, I had a little deja vu, Only 36 years later.

He is a loss to all of us.

Erik Madsen
ziggy101
he got annoying after awhile anyway. it was coming for him too. he was pushin the limits, and this time, he went over it. he was killed by a stingray. its harpoon went straight into his chest, and poked a hole in his heart as he swam over the thing...it sucks, but all things die somehow. even the crocodile hunter
wbergtho
Really liked the guy...sad to see him go!
Boojum
QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Sep 4 2006, 10:24 AM) *

he got annoying after awhile anyway. it was coming for him too. he was pushin the limits, and this time, he went over it.

It's guys like Mr. Irwin who make humanity as a whole move onward and forward, and the end is always coming for those who breath. I admire 'em, and I think he spent his days better than most others. The amazing thing is that such a docile animal got him. It's not like stingrays are crazy aggressive animals swimming around trying to spear everything. Pushing the limit with a ray is like pushing the limit with a chicken, compared to some of the animals he handles. It's just a freakish event.
JPB
[quote name='Thorshammer' date='Sep 4 2006, 12:07 PM' post='763781']
For those of us old enough to have seen Jacques Cousteau, Steve Irvin was the man that brought nature (especially crocs) to our homes.

Jacquee was the man for me also; big niose, red hats and discovered the aqualung and sharks sleped. All gone sad.gif They all had good lives I think.
Jerry
..... just plain sucks
balljoint
sad.gif Deleted out of respect for the dead.

He leaves his wife, extended family and an 8 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. I feel sad for them and mad at him. sad.gif
project-914
you're a douche...he loved what he did...and knew how to do it
wbergtho
He has my vote for the 2006 Darwin awards.....excepting the fact that he has already procreated of course.

Steve Irwin lived more in five minutes than you ever lived in your miserable meaningless life. Much to my chagrin...it appears that you have procreated yourself. I'm not offended..I just think you're an asshole. finger.gif
Bruce Allert
C'mon now settle down. Don't make this thread into a controversy. Let's just remember Steve, no put downs or name calling.... please.

thank you..... b thumb3d.gif
grantsfo
Nature has a great sense of humor.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(project-914 @ Sep 4 2006, 03:03 PM) *

you're a douche...he loved what he did...and knew how to do it

He loved what he did, and he knew how to do it right up until the next to the last thing he did .......................... Sorry, he sometimes behaved in a less than responsible way, something a father should carefully consider. He fooled with mother nature and she reached out and slapped him down. His choice, and he undoubtably died doing what he loved most. Too bad he's gone, but nobody gets out alive. Too bad, too, that he appears to have loved himself more than his wife and children ..........

The Cap'n
Mueller
my wife was telling me that there is only like 17 or less documented cases of someone getting killed by a stingray????

I would have never thought it could kill you, I just thought it cut the skin and that was about it...damn.....
GWN7
they showed a stingrays barb on CNN this afternoon...it's longer than the width of your hand and about as thick as a fillet knife.....the barb is surrounded by a fleshy part that is filled with venom....the barb goes in and the fleshy parts stick and spread the venom...excrushiatingly painful

As to Steve, he lived his life they way he wanted....first time I saw him on TV, I went, this guys nuts......and I wondered when he would buy it.

Freak accident.....so sad for his family
J P Stein
The Crustatious one is right....you fuck with the bull, you get the horns.

I hate to see anyone's life ended at 44 leaving a wife & kids. I won't be drawn into a discussion as to his motives for his doing the things he did, but he was no Cousteau.
He reminded me of a 60's race car driver that didn't know when to quit.
Toast
Of all the things he got stung, attacked, and bit by, he dies from a stingray!? Really too bad. sad.gif
But i'm glad to have had entertainment and education from his shows.
Thanks. RIP. Many wishes to his family.
TimT
Sorry to see him go, he lived, then died doing what he loved

[hijack]

He has my vote for the 2006 Darwin awards.....

No the Darwin Award goes to that guy that lived (past tense) with grizzlies..

there was a documentary on his life with the griz shown on Discovery..

oops

[/hijack]
drive-ability
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Sep 4 2006, 03:15 PM) *

He has my vote for the 2006 Darwin awards.....excepting the fact that he has already procreated of course.

Steve Irwin lived more in five minutes than you ever lived in your miserable meaningless life. Much to my chagrin...it appears that you have procreated yourself. I'm not offended..I just think you're an asshole. finger.gif

Who hasn't taken chances, most all of us could have been iced many times. Stick a guy like that in a desk job and he would have been the walking dead. His show wasn't one I watched but, I liked him and its sad to see such man lost.
wbergtho
Who hasn't taken chances, most all of us could have been iced many times.

How true...By the way, sorry I got a bit hostile in my last post. I just don't appreciate people putting down the dead.
Rick_Eberle
For all his over-the-top exuberance, he was a very humble guy. For all the millions he made, his family still lived in the same home they had when he was literaly catching crocs for the zoo operated by his dad. He spent a fortune on conservation and education.

He was the real deal, not some actor playing the hero in a shoot-em-up.

RIP, Steve.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 4 2006, 03:59 PM) *
... Too bad, too, that he appears to have loved himself more than his wife and children ..........

The Cap'n

rolleyes.gif Is that how you speak of the solders (volunteers, btw) who've died during the various conflicts the USA has been in?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 4 2006, 05:39 PM) *

... Too bad, too, that he appears to have loved himself more than his wife and children ..........

The Cap'n

rolleyes.gif Is that how you speak of the solders (volunteers, btw) who've died during the various conflicts the USA has been in?

Excuse me? Did you really say something that stupid? Wrestling crocs and kissing snakes has NOTHING to do with the kind of service one gives his country.

The Cap'n, a 2 tour volunteer veteran of our last big conflict.
anthony
After I heard about his death I googled stingrays and stingray barbs. I never even knew they had barbs. Usually people stumble upon one by accident in 2-3 feet of water and get stung. In Australia 1500 people a year get stung. It's a one in a million shot for the barb to pierce the heart like that.
Stuie
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Sep 4 2006, 07:36 PM) *

For all his over-the-top exuberance, he was a very humble guy. For all the millions he made, his family still lived in the same home they had when he was literaly catching crocs for the zoo operated by his dad. .

That's the most bitchin' aspect of the guy. A real person... he'll be missed by more than us consumers of his public escapedes.

Scott Carlberg
my morning paper said that his wife hadn't been notified yet because she was backpacking/treking in Tasmania (sp?)

who ever has to tell her....

"Terry, Steve been killed by a Stingray".

that's gonna Suck.
bd1308
From the BBC, everyone was notified including Terri, who flew from Tasmania to see him.

He took his time off from filming HIS show to film a segment for his daughter actually, and a stingray swam between the cameraman and steve. Steve was trying to get out of the way, at which the stingray felt threatned and stabbed steve.

That's what happened--not trying to ride the stingray.

Anyway, he was pulled from the water onto Croc 1, a boat near the scene of the incident. When medical help arrived, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

I really enjoyed his shows, and I would have trusted him....

b
Hawktel
I always throught a Croc would get him, but I guess a Stingray is just as unusual.

So long Steve. Yo made me laugh, but I guess we all kinda knew this was coming.
VaccaRabite
I think it is amazing how many people are into this guy.

I read a couple automototive forums, and all of them have a big thread going on Irwin.

I suppose its that _everybody_ knows who the Crocadile Hunter is. I used to watch his shows and think that he was crazy. For the past several years I had not thought much of him. I was surprised to hear of his death though. Like many people, I googled stingrays, and was amazed that they were what brought him down.

It kinda reminds me of Brandon Lee. The 1 in a million accident that brings down a star.

Steve Irwin did a lot, and raised environmental awareness for thousands of kids and adults through his TV show. I'm sorry that he has passed.

Zach
70Sixter
The world is an emptier place today whether or not you were a fan of Steve Irwin. Personally I believe that speaking ill of the dead is wrong. God bless him and especially his family.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 4 2006, 06:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

Excuse me? Did you really say something that stupid? Wrestling crocs and kissing snakes has NOTHING to do with the kind of service one gives his country.

I was commenting on YOUR stupid comment.

Me, a veteran as well (active Navy, '87-'93).
Rider914
The video is the only thing that can convince me that he wasn't molesting the ray - Anyone else remember him feeding chicken to his crocks then dangling his kid over them. . .

I am sorry for his famliy, but the guy was probibly harder to insure than a NASCAR driver.
[quote name='Rider914' date='Sep 5 2006, 05:57 PM' post='764809']
The video is the only thing that can convince me that he wasn't molesting the ray -. . .

Does it really matter? Give the guy a break!

Steve, RIP
alpha434
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 5 2006, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 4 2006, 06:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

I was commenting on YOUR stupid comment.

Me, a veteran as well (active Navy, '87-'93).

Wow. That's harsh. I wouldn't think anyone here could say something like that after Lupuwali passed. Just because someone loves something and dies doing it doesn't mean that he prefers it over his family. Way to piss on Steve Irwin's grave.
Mr.C
RIP Steve. The girls and I will sure miss you. sad.gif
jimtab
[quote name='JPB' date='Sep 4 2006, 01:38 PM' post='763945']
[quote name='Thorshammer' date='Sep 4 2006, 12:07 PM' post='763781']

Jacquee was the man for me also; big niose, red hats and discovered the aqualung and sharks sleped. All gone sad.gif They all had good lives I think.
[/quote]

Yeah, he discovered that the Italians invented the damn thing..... biggrin.gif
magaoidh
Nice to see so many people in tune with the passing of Steve Irwin.What saddened me most was that he poured money back into Animal and Nature Conservation programs.(from reports here in OZ what he didnt put into the family zoo went to Nature programs)He may have been loud and brash but he was the real deal! Fair dinkum!
Geoff.
pfierb
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Sep 4 2006, 08:22 PM) *

Who hasn't taken chances, most all of us could have been iced many times.

How true...By the way, sorry I got a bit hostile in my last post. I just don't appreciate people putting down the dead.

Hitler was a prick!!!!
wbergtho
Hitler was a prick!!!!
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.