Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teen 914 pops his cherry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Gerry (my son and Teen914 on here) and I spent the whole day at the track Saturday (only 914). He did a 6 hr driver's skill course and I shagged cones. I was a quarter mile away from the skid pad and I could hear him bouncing it off the rev limiter.

He did learn 1 lesson, both feet in. He downshifted into second entering a left hander and went around like a yoyo on a string. He didn't stall it though so he put in in first and mashed it hoping to rotate it 180* to get back on course. 540* later he was headed the right way with a cloud of tire smoke headed for the instructors. I asked why he was wasting my tires and he said "I didn't want to flat spot them".

Incidentally, the instructors all drove tail draggers and I had a bunch of them asking what's in that thing? Most of them see the big rectangular stock air box and scratch their heads. That's pretty damn fun.

Dave
JPB
av-943.gif YES!!!
Aaron Cox
your kid has a potential around here....

"didnt want to flatspot em" - classic. nicely played gerry.
Bruce Allert
Way to go Gerry thumb3d.gif

Dave, yer gonna hafta git him his own 914 real soon beer.gif

....b
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Sep 4 2006, 06:28 AM) *

Gerry (my son and Teen914 on here) and I spent the whole day at the track Saturday (only 914). He did a 6 hr driver's skill course and I shagged cones. I was a quarter mile away from the skid pad and I could hear him bouncing it off the rev limiter.

He did learn 1 lesson, both feet in. He downshifted into second entering a left hander and went around like a yoyo on a string. He didn't stall it though so he put in in first and mashed it hoping to rotate it 180* to get back on course. 540* later he was headed the right way with a cloud of tire smoke headed for the instructors. I asked why he was wasting my tires and he said "I didn't want to flat spot them".

Incidentally, the instructors all drove tail draggers and I had a bunch of them asking what's in that thing? Most of them see the big rectangular stock air box and scratch their heads. That's pretty damn fun.

Dave

Good job Gerry! clap56.gif
Root_Werks
Sweet! Sounds like a great day at the track! driving.gif
Toast
smilie_pokal.gif
messix
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 4 2006, 07:55 AM) *

your kid has a potential around here....

"didnt want to flatspot em" - classic. nicely played gerry.

ya think that one will work with the cops?
Aaron Cox
i got out of a ticket..said i was tuning a WOT flat spot on my carbs LOL

AA
pete-stevers
way to go gerry!!!!!!!!
we need more young punks like you around here!
teen914
i had a great time. i was the fastest driver in my group, but i learned a lot.
pfierb
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 4 2006, 03:40 PM) *

i got out of a ticket..said i was tuning a WOT flat spot on my carbs LOL

AA

Reminds me of a friend of mine who's son did about $5000 damage to her BMW Z3 in an accident around town....hit a tree and a curb stone in a spinout.....told his mother "good thing mom I went to the Skip Barber driving school just think of how bad it could have been if I didn't have that experience" she agreed with him she told me....I just smiled and agreed.....that kid is going far in this world.
Joe Ricard
Hey Gerry if ya don't ever spin it you will never know what "too far" means.
Now that you know .... Do all your shifting and braking when not turning.

If it gets loose give it more gas. (love that one)

Yes Officer I was merely re-gaining control of the car.......

914werke
biggrin.gif Ha-Ha good one!
teen914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 6 2006, 09:47 AM) *

Hey Gerry if ya don't ever spin it you will never know what "too far" means.
Now that you know .... Do all your shifting and braking when not turning.

If it gets loose give it more gas. (love that one)

Yes Officer I was merely re-gaining control of the car.......

i was downshifting while i was going straight. it was about 3500 in third gear. i think i was doing about 60mph. earlier in the day, while doing the skidpad, i went 3/4 the way around the circle with the back end out. then i ran into the wet vht (the stuff for the drag strip, when it is wet it is like ice) and i went around 360. that was fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.