Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody ever put fog/driving lights BEHIND a stock fog grill?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Stealth look? Or serious grill meltdown? 55 watts, not A-ron retina burners...
blink.gif
clarkcou
MIke-

I'm no help, I've mounted them as you describe, but the car is not yet on the road. I have the same worry of meltdown.

Randy
914rat
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 4 2006, 08:32 AM) *

Stealth look? Or serious grill meltdown? 55 watts, not A-ron retina burners...
blink.gif
I have a set of 55 watt fogs behind the stock louvered grills have had them for years with no melt-down.Hope this helps.
Katmanken
And Today in the News...

Mike Z was arrested today for creating an EPA hazard and shutting down an expressway due to a hazardous spill and highly toxic emissions...

Apparently, Mike Z "inadvertently" installed is fog light grills over his fog lights and then turned them on.

Witnesses cite seeing Mr. Z zooming down the expressway with two flaming fires at the front of his 914 and black smoke billowing therefrom.

Said one witness who was really shaken up..."I looked in the rearview and it looked like the flaming eyes of a devil chasing me.... Then I saw the helmet with the bunny ears drivig the car.... And the look on the driver's face!!!!!! AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHH .......Gotta run to church to pray Bye Bye!....."

Mr. Z drove 22 miles weaving through traffic driving the flaming apparition....

The toxic black smoke from the car forced an evacuation of half of the city.

When finally stopped by the Police, Mr. Z identified himself as a Hazmat official and explained he was "merely trying to get the flaming toxic material out of the city as fast as possible to reduce the potential number of deaths...."

When the car was stopped, the grilles continued to flame and burn and drop puddles of flaming plastic onto the highway. Mr. Z now referrs to his car as "Puddles"

Stay tuned, next on the news, What does the "thermo " in thermoplastic mean?

And, teen hospitalized by severe 3rd degree burn from a 55 watt soldering gun.."I wish I had grabbed the handle, not the tip!"

These and other stories... Stay tuned...

Ken happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
Joe Bob
Ohhhhh, don't quit yer day job....
Katmanken
Mike,

I write for a living.... It IS my day job. blink.gif

Lotsa wherefores, whereins, and said fixedly attached members operably coupled with said..... biggrin.gif

As a repenting former engineer, 55 wats is a lot of power and THERMOplastics are formed (and deformed) from heat.

Not to mention the obvious... The slats in the grille are angled down.... mad.gif

Mebbe ifn you took the venitian blinds outa two of the windows in the tubedog house, they would fit. Metal slats, AND ya could adjust them for angle... happy11.gif

Ken
Howard
It was a dark and rainy night.
Joe Bob
You flip them over....they get angled straight...and I KNOW you write for a living. Hence the snooty rejoinder.

As to the heat, the surrounds are as close as the vanes....and I'm pretty sure the grills are thermoSET plastic that won't flow but will burn.....
smj
Heh... I thought I had fogs behind the original grills.

Click to view attachment

But clearly this was a lack of imagination on my part. It would seem that the bright bulb behind the fender conversion decided this was a great place to mount the turn signals...

Click to view attachment

Fortunately this is California, and nobody really expects me to use my turn signals ... dry.gif
Katmanken
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,

I don't get no respect......

Still think they are thermoform plastic. Have a pair of unholey grills -sans chrome- in a box downstairs.

Dose suckers are tan and flex like a thermoform- almost like a urethane.

Coupla quick tests-

1. thermosets are usually rigid and brittle and shatter when dropped.

2. thermosets char a little but don't burn and melt when hit with a torch.

Tried the tests yet? happy11.gif

Hmmm... brings up a point. Thermosets used for the fog lite grills? Thermoforms for the regular grills? Big co$t difference in the materials with the high co$t going to thermosets.

Ken
Aaron Cox
mike -

i thought about doing the same thing....

ill just use the ones wif da hole for the light

AA
Boojum
QUOTE(kwales @ Sep 4 2006, 10:59 AM) *

Mebbe ifn you took the venitian blinds outa two of the windows in the tubedog house, they would fit. Metal slats, AND ya could adjust them for angle... happy11.gif

Ken

Hey, I like that idea! He could go down the highway signaling in code just like they used to do while observing radio silence during WWII using Aldis signaling lamps!

The only problem will be to get people to understand Morse code, and well, more importantly, to look in the mirror! chair.gif
McMark
The real fog light grills have plastic very close to the light and I've never seen one melted. I'd run them. They might melt, but I'm leaning on the no-they-wont side. wink.gif

Plus you use lights at night. And nighttime is cooler, so you get more aircooling.

Run 'em. driving.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 4 2006, 12:36 PM) *

mike -

i thought about doing the same thing....

ill just use the ones wif da hole for the light

AA

Yeah,,,,,,,but I doan have the ones wit da holes..... blink.gif

dats de point....
McMark
I know, that's my point. The ones with holes get close to the lights and don't melt. So the ones without holes that aren't as close to the lights should be fine.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(smj @ Sep 4 2006, 11:22 AM) *

Heh... I thought I had fogs behind the original grills.

Click to view attachment

But clearly this was a lack of imagination on my part. It would seem that the bright bulb behind the fender conversion decided this was a great place to mount the turn signals...

Click to view attachment

Fortunately this is California, and nobody really expects me to use my turn signals ... dry.gif

And, if you were using your turn signal they would just assume that you were going around the world to the left...
GWN7
I have'em on the 70 .........grills with lights behind....3 yrs, haven't melted yet
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 4 2006, 01:46 PM) *

I have'em on the 70 .........grills with lights behind....3 yrs, haven't melted yet

Hmmm.... Probably frozen like the rest of you popsicles ehh?
ClayPerrine
We have had a set behind the grills on Betty's car for over a Decade. No melted grills yet.......

Joe Bob

Fuggit....gonna fire them bad boys up, crack a brewski with my cat on my lap and watch how long it takes to ignite.....Howie be my insurance agent.....

Click to view attachment
736conver
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 4 2006, 07:50 PM) *

Fuggit....gonna fire them bad boys up, crack a brewski with my cat on my lap and watch how long it takes to ignite.....Howie be my insurance agent.....

Click to view attachment

I was never too sure about them myself. Thats why I didnt complete the install. If it works it sure would give it a clean look to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.