Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hate to beat a dead horse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Everyone knows about the hell but the opposite side (pergatory) is worse on my car. I never cleaned the drains in 21 years. Yes, I've abused my car!. Check the drains

Pergatory
DNHunt
Hell hole
Brad Roberts
You mean clean the "drain tubes" ??

There are no drains in that area on the car. Porsche had plastic plugs that we can pull.

I may be confused.

B
DNHunt
Battery tray area. I'll fix it up and never leave that part of maintenance out again
DNHunt
Brad there is a small slit in the plugs. I assumed for 21 years that would suffice. My bad

Dave
Brad Roberts
The plastic plugs ?? the ones that are/where white ?? About 1.5 inches in diameter ??

Can you shoot a pic of one of the plugs for me ??

I think your's cracked. Most the ones I pull out dont have any cracks.

B
rhodyguy
i have'nt even looked at the pictures yet, slow to load. don't put that piece of shit back in. leave it out permanently!! i knew things would get worse but did'nt want to ruin the rest of your day.

kevin
rhodyguy
oh, no hole on that side. i don't know why they didn't put one in. now you know why there was all that standing fluid in the car i looked at friday.

kevin
"one way drains don't"
McMark
Has anyone considered drilling a drain hole during replacement? Good idea, bad idea?
rhodyguy
i did that to the drivers side when i did the engine compartment. nothing major. 1/2" in the lowest point.

kevin
J P Stein
Quitcher' whinin' laugh.gif

The vast majority of NW 914s have serious thru & thru sucking chest wounds in that spot. Yours is classified as "excellent" for our area. Mine was only slightly better than yours.....and I was happy to buy it smile.gif

Once it's cleaned up, my advice is:
Round file the drain thingys. They're supposed to be one way valves, but quickly become noway valves.
Relocate the battery.
*Keep it out of the rain.*
redshift
This 'keeping it out of the rain' thing...

hmm...

M
rhodyguy
jp, i keep telling dave that. "dave, go look at the rust pictures that have been posted". he just will not listen. his problems are minimal in comparison, exp for a n.w. car. his trunks are near perfect. the pan is great. dave's a worry wart. it's a very nice chassis. his planned upgrades well thought out.

kevin
redshift
Dave, you sissy pants!

I live in the real rain belt, not some fake rain belt, with sissy rain, nah! I live in the mother of all rain belts, rainy season lasts 12 months out of the year, and if it's not raining, it's baking, and evaporating all that rain into steam, that seeps into small fisures, and causes rust fur.

Yeah! It sucks!

Have you ever seen the underside of an oil tanker? You know the barnacles? That is what 914s look like here.

Shut up.

M
DNHunt
Before I come off looking like a cry baby. Let me say a couple of things.

First, I know my car is a nice car and other people have to deal with more and worse problems. I intend to fix it to the best of my ability and keep it up. I should have been more observant and paid more attention to detail so I have only myself to blame for the problems I have to fix.

My reasons for posting all the pics and rant is maybe someone can learn something from it. Hopefully somebody else will be a little more diligent after reading this.

As far as the plug or drain goes I'll leave it out and check to make sure there is no standing water.

Here is a pic of the offending little SOB.
DNHunt
Another view of the little c@#k s&^*er
Katmanken
Yessir,

Thats the one ossifer......

It claimed to be a drain plug, it ended up being an anus....

I drilled mine out. fighting19.gif

Ken
J P Stein
I agree with you, Dave, and you're doing a fine job of preaching to the choir laugh.gif

Every 914 I get a chance to look at gets my hell hole inspection......and the owners get free advice laugh.gif

Get rid of the "sound pad", get rid of the trunk pad, move the battery, don't let it get wet (danm near impossible in this neck of the woods)....yada, yada.
*I'm* tired of listening to me. confused24.gif
ChrisReale
I just removed the fucking water sponge, I mean sound pad and painted the engine comp. I found a crack in my long just where the rear jack donut is. It is still solid metal,(ie, not rusty, gaping holes) but I need to get that taken care of.
rhodyguy
but you forgot to add, DO NOT PUT AN OPEN CELL IN THE TRUNK! pull the battery, get a sieve, and sprinkle the area where your bat is with baking soda. like you were dusting a cake.

kevin.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 26 2003, 10:29 AM)
oh, no hole on that side. i don't know why they didn't put one in. now you know why there was all that standing fluid in the car i looked at friday.

there IS a drain hole there. trust me, i know ...
and it is usually plugged up with crap. but it IS there!

on the lowest point, towards the engine, there is a drain hole.
no really, i'm not on crack. it's there. i've seen it ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Thanks Dave for posting that pick. I was thinking of the white plastic round plugs (the big ones).

Yes.. those should flow freely (RIGHT INTO THE TRASH CAN)

B
maf914
I'm with Andy on the hell hole drain hole. agree.gif

My car has them. Leaves like to find their way into the hell hole, get wet, then plaster themselves across the drain hole. Makes for a nice little pool...add battery acid runoff...let sit undetected for a few years...now we're talking! sad.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.