Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Law
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
In California, what is the law regarding license fees on a vehicle that has been sitting for 7 years? In my case the last time it was registered was 1999.

If the non- operation certificate had been filed each year (by the previous owner) then obviously there is no back license tags to pay.

If the non-operation license hasn't been filed, is the new buyer responsible for to pay all past years.

Can the new buyer secure an affidavit from the old owner to satisfy that the vehicle was non-operational?

What is the deal?

Thanks.

PS

I’ve attached a picture of the car in question.

This car is a joint venture between my son and I; the primary purpose is to get him some autoXing experience before we let him lose on the crazy freeways here.

BTW Brad has already read me the riot act on why I shouldn't buy a 944, but this one is so clean I couldn't pass it up.

Click to view attachment
914-8
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
Brando
In most instances you might have to pay the back fees, and any previous parking violations with said car.

Without the paperwork from the PO (or DAPO) you can file for a lost title, but in all attempts to register or transfer the car you need at least a bill of sale from the PO to you [or your son].

Your best bet is to schedule an appointment with the DMV (can be done through the DMV's Websit) and talk to someone there. You can also call them and speak to someone before setting an appointment so you know ahead of time what paperwork you will need. Frankly, the less paperwork you have to take back and forth and the fewer visits and the shorter your visit, the faster it will go with the DMV.

Oh, and what were the reasons Brad said for not getting a 944? NARP syndrome? laugh.gif Mine's been a great DD for the last year+, and the '83 I used to have was great as well.
JPB
DAMIT ALL TO HADES THEM DMV BIHOTCHES GET UNDER MY SKIN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Take the car and put it on jackstands and take a picture of it. Go to the DMV and they should understand that a car on jackstands is not freakin sitting but standing.

beer.gif Sit, I knows my sit. sheeplove.gif Stick it in da loophole bro!!!
McMark
Last time I talked to a DMV rep, they said seven was the magic year when the vehicle 'fell-out' of the system. If it's been a full seven years (what month was it last registered in?) then supposedly they won't have a record for the VIN and you won't have to pay any fees.
Randal
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 4 2006, 11:38 AM) *

In most instances you might have to pay the back fees, and any previous parking violations with said car.

Without the paperwork from the PO (or DAPO) you can file for a lost title, but in all attempts to register or transfer the car you need at least a bill of sale from the PO to you [or your son].

Your best bet is to schedule an appointment with the DMV (can be done through the DMV's Websit) and talk to someone there. You can also call them and speak to someone before setting an appointment so you know ahead of time what paperwork you will need. Frankly, the less paperwork you have to take back and forth and the fewer visits and the shorter your visit, the faster it will go with the DMV.

Oh, and what were the reasons Brad said for not getting a 944? NARP syndrome? laugh.gif Mine's been a great DD for the last year+, and the '83 I used to have was great as well.

"NARP syndrome." Good guess I think!

anthony
If the car is so clean why has it been sitting for 7 years? BTW, sounds like a great way to introduce your son to cars.

lincoln
my own personal experience has been with 3 years back tags as a max , that was with a car that hadnt been tagged in bout 8 years . but things could be different for diff folks. i DO know that all DMV clerks have this "magic" button on their keyboards that pretty much bypasses any law/req needed with a single touch. its getting them to hit it that is the tuff part heh
Type 4 Unleashed
It's 5 years for a vehicle to drop out of the system, unless there was an inquiry made at DMV, buy the PO or anyone else. Then it could be 3 years in back fees.

Unless there was a timely non-op filed, which only has a one time fee, that stays in effect till the car is re-registered, OR receives a parking ticket, for being park on a public street.

You have 15 days from the date of sale to transfer the title to your name or penalties apply.

If, your a AAA member, registration can be done there, very short wait time, and you have a seat till your name is called.

PM sent
McMark
I asked a DMV employee point blank when the cars fell out and they said 7 years, BUT the DMV isn't know for it's consistent employee education. wink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 4 2006, 06:21 PM) *

If the car is so clean why has it been sitting for 7 years? BTW, sounds like a great way to introduce your son to cars.

My mechanic has always worked on this Porsche. The owner had brought it to his shop to sell. When I saw it and started checking it out it was filthy from sitting around, but you could tell it was all there and in good shape.

Just a lot of elbow grease (joint project with my son) and it is pretty nice.
andys
Forget the DMV, and go to AAA (if you're a memeber; if not, become one!). They're much more knowlegeable, and much less aggrivating to deal with. I bought a car that sat in a garage for 12 years; it was no longer "in the system." I paid for a new title, license plates, and transfer fees; that's it as far as I recall. I did have to trailer it to the AAA office for them to witness the car.

Andys
fiid
QUOTE(andys @ Sep 5 2006, 09:48 AM) *

Forget the DMV, and go to AAA (if you're a memeber; if not, become one!). They're much more knowlegeable, and much less aggrivating to deal with. I bought a car that sat in a garage for 12 years; it was no longer "in the system." I paid for a new title, license plates, and transfer fees; that's it as far as I recall. I did have to trailer it to the AAA office for them to witness the car.

Andys

I second this. We did this for the first time recently and had a VERY good experience.

chilli
QUOTE(JPB @ Sep 4 2006, 01:27 PM) *

DAMIT ALL TO HADES THEM DMV BIHOTCHES GET UNDER MY SKIN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Take the car and put it on jackstands and take a picture of it. Go to the DMV and they should understand that a car on jackstands is not freakin sitting but standing.

beer.gif Sit, I knows my sit. sheeplove.gif Stick it in da loophole bro!!!

IT IS THE CALIF LEGISLATURE, OR better known as the "Dumb Dome" that makes the laws.

bondo
I went to register a truck that was only a few months from dropping out of the system. I said "ok, I'll wait a few months and come back". Turns out any inquiry of the vin in the database restarts the countdown, so I ended up having to pay $400 in back fees. Moral of the story: Don't attempt to register it until you're SURE it's dropped out of the system. You can't find out if it's dropped out without restarting the countdown if it hasn't. Sucks.
McMark
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Royce. I did the same thing on my Aubergine car. It'd be dropped out of the system by now if I hadn't inquired about it.
bondo
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 5 2006, 12:58 PM) *

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Royce. I did the same thing on my Aubergine car. It'd be dropped out of the system by now if I hadn't inquired about it.

Let's call it "The DMV Uncertainty Principal of Non-Op Mechanics". lol2.gif
JPB
I HAVE GOT THE ANSWER!!!!! Get it titled in another state and get it retitled in Califlowernia a few days later, its that symple. Beat the biotch from taking yo dineros gringo!!!!

beer.gif All ya need are some choice contacts. I KNOW MY SIZZIT BIHIZZIT!!
Randal
Thanks for all the advice Folks.

Well I took the AAA approach and everything ended up fine.

I didn't get charged for back license fees, so assumed the previous owner had filed the non operation permit. smile.gif

I figured the worse I could have been out was $300 (3 years of licenses) plus the tax (on the purchase) and $100 for the 2007 license.

Sure is nice when someone files the proper forms when they aren't operating their vehicle. clap56.gif

Looks like we can drive the 944 up to Alameda this weekend and get my son en some real AutoX experience.

Should be fun.

JPB
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.