Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally, A Owner, not a Drooler...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawktel
So about a week ago, I saw the car I was going to get on Ebay. So I piled the GF in the Ride, and drove the 1hour an change to see this car.

This is the car. Yes it needs smash.gif

Evil Bay Car for Ed

The seller is a okay guys, just not a car person. Riding down and seeing the car in person made me feel alot better. First of all its pretty rough externally, but Mechanically, and structually its sound. I spend at bunch to time with a screw driver in the Hell hole. No holes could be found or made. The Battery tray is a comple write off. Its gone and is just a line of rust on the side of the engine compartment. He's tac welded in some brackets in the trunk, and has the battery there. He did mention when he recieved it, the PO had used a 2X4, and sheetmetal screws to secure the battery to the battery location.

I didn't have the chance to remove the rockers. When I asked him if he'd removed them to check them, I received a funney look, and the Question "those come off?" needless to say, I'm not expecting good things. I checked to see if its holding together with a Daves Big Butt test, and both sides had no closing issues at all. and I'm close to 300 pounds, so I know its a good work out for the ride.

The Engine is a nice crisp 1.7. I think. And so does he. But, it was rebuilt by Ed Andrews, a Local Porsche guy, But who rebuilds a engine directly to stock? And it felt pretty crisp and torquey for a 1.7 The butt Dyno felt 'off".

Steering , suspesion, brakes all felt good. Over all I'm pretty happy mechanically. smilie_pokal.gif

Well there is the bad, and its bad. Bad and Ugly. The interior has some choices I wouldn't make. The type of things that make me get irritated. Like some genius had a issue with the ignition on the column. So insteed of taking it apart and fixing it, some hoser bored a hole in the dash under the ashtray, and put a new ignition there, and left the other one just kinda hanging there.

The exteror is rough. Going to need the back of a rear trunk floor, a new rear trunk lid, new drivers door skin at least, most likely just a new door. At the time I do all that, I think I'll do an additional Fiberglass Flares and a 916 front and rear, with a light weight interior. Luckly I don't know anything about Fiberglass, so I don't have a clue on what kinda mess I've gotten into. cool.gif

First though, most pressing problems is making me fit (I'm 6'10 300 pounds) and getting the Tailshifter it comes with back to a sure thing, rather than a hopefull guess when shifting.

Yes, I know this thread is worthless without picts, but they are coming. I get it on Friday. I can't wait! How hard can it be to fix a car 2 years older than I?

mueba.gif
redshift
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Oct 26 2003, 03:31 PM)
Yes, I know this thread is worthless without picts, but they are coming. I get it on Friday. I can't wait! How hard can it be to fix a car 2 years older than I?

mueba.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

It's not hard at all, it's just a full-time job.

smile.gif

M
Jeroen
Hey Ed,

congrats! post some pics when you get the car!

cheers,

Jeroen
GWN7
Congrats...looks like you got a running teener for a fair price. beerchug.gif

What you don't like you can fix over time. All it takes is time & $$$$$ smile.gif
rezron
Another 914 addict!!!!

Good luck with your project Ed!!!

rezron
Brad Roberts
HOLY Cow Ed.. I had NO idea you where 6'10. I thought our freind Steve was the tallest 914 owner I knew (he is 6'4 or so)

Can you sit in a stock seat with the top on ?? I'm not making fun of you.. just want to know if you actually fit or not.

B
Hawktel
On a stock seat I get about 2 inches of head over the rear targa bar. I can sit in it with the roof on, but its not comfortable to me, and the driver, cause I'm usually taking this time to bitch about the sardine feel of their ride.

I got long legs though, and the 914's leg room is what really brought me to the 914's.

I am looking for a thin racing chair for a big boy, and a steering wheel spacer though. And a Short shifter kit, I already got the welds to the floor pan lined up, but it makes a cage a difficult proposition.

914's roof structure makes visitbility good even with its roof on, although I ussualy watch just watch the lights change in the reflection off the hood paint.

If I start getting alot of track time, I'm going to buy a spare roof, and put a Gurney bubble in it for helmet room.

Its fair though. After I'm done, you won't be able to drive my fourteen, You think first sucks on a 901, wait till your trying to hit it with no clutch, cause you can't reach the peddle.

Overall, some of the things I'm doing could be thought as a really extreme form of theft protection. Wonder if I can get a insurance break if I demostrate that to the agent?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.