Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Need to switch insurance companies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
Today marks the official date of a three year good driving record for me! rocking nana.gif

AAA offers a 20% discount on a policy for a good driver discount. That would save me $180.00 per year!

Unfortunatly, my policy just renewed in August. AAA told me that I would not recieve the good driver discount until my next policy renewal (Aug. 2007). mad.gif I was also told that if I cancled my insurance, I would not be able to start a new policy for 60 days.

Soooo.......I was thinking of switching insurance companies for two months, then switching back in a couple of months so that I could get the 20% discount.

Anyone have thoughts on a good insurance company in California that I could switch to for a couple of months?
TimT
(Aug. 3002)

av-943.gif

you must have had some driving record!!

why not try geico or progressive?

is there anyone in the military in your family? perhaps USAA
Toast
Uz a funny guy Timmy. dry.gif. Ok fine. I edited the date (sure do hope that i'm not still alive then!)

No military in family.

Progressive won't cover old vehicles, well, they wouldn't the last time I called.

Thanks
Joe Bob
Let's see....Geico, heavy handed adverts and they donate radar guns to PDs to enforce BS speed limits in areas that have high traffic flow....BZZZZZTtttt, NFW.....

Progressive, they won't go after someone that files a BS claim against becuase it's less than 4K and then surcharge yer ass for three years after that....BBBBBZZZZZtttttt, NFW.....

Good driver? Go Mercury, AllState or the other blue chips. Tell AAA to stick it....
/L.
I have Mercury. They've been good to me. My house is under them too. But I found them to be better than most other ins. I use to have AAA but they raised my policy about $250 in one year and I didn't ever have anything go wrong. No tickets and no accident. I like the Mercury folks. Call for a quote.
TimT
Id NEVER even think about having Allstate.

They dumped all Homeowners coverage in NY after Katrina

Wait isnt NY 3000 miles from Lousiana?

Shop around while you have coverage.

When purchasing insurance, remember you are buying a service.

They work for you
TimT
and I didn't ever have anything go wrong. No tickets and no accident.

Its not what you did per se

it what may happen iffen.. a bunch of actuaries get together

fiid
I have allstate. They've always given me reasonably good service - and I think there is an advantage to their agent-setup - I've always had very friendly and helpful agents that have been very available. We have our house policy through them also - and they reduce both rates if you do both.
Toast
I was looking more towards a company that deals promptly and somewhat fairly (we all know that claims are not all fair) with accident claims. Unfortunalty, I seem to get hit alot. mad.gif
I had Mercury last. It took them a year to settle the claim, in which they never informed me of. I had to find out from an inside source. And it was in the other party's favor.
fiid
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 4 2006, 09:02 PM) *

I was looking more towards a company that deals promptly and somewhat fairly (we all know that claims are not all fair) with accident claims. Unfortunalty, I seem to get hit alot. mad.gif
I had Mercury last. It took them a year to settle the claim, in which they never informed me of. I had to find out from an inside source. And it was in the other party's favor.

Well - I can tell you about my experience with Allstate. I got sideswiped by a San Francisco muni bus that decided to drag race me from a stop light from a bus stop he was stopped at.

I actually was going to have the damage fixed myself when MUNI (army of full time lawyers) decided it was my fault and I needed to pay them. I filed a claim with Allstate (filed it online - on their website). They called me twice and took long recorded statements from me regarding what happened. THey then went lawyer to lawyer for a few months. I got the car fixed - it cost ~$1030 - and I have a $1000 deducatable. Basically MUNI took fault, but not liability and Allstate wasn't willing to go to court over their loss of $30. So - mixed result. I didn't have to pay for the bus, and there was no adjustment in my rate, since Allstate didn't believe it was my fault. Their staff have always been prompt, professional, and available with the exception of the attourney that handled the case right at the end, who I never did actually get in contact with (I left a message for him which he failed to return).

I don't really feel like I got shafted - I was kind of relying on them for free legal advice (i.e. fighting the legal battle) - and it just wasn't worth it for them for $30. I do wish I'd filed the claim when it first happened and not tried to avoid taking it to the insurance altogether.

Your milage (and damage biggrin.gif) may vary.
anthony
Is this car daily driver? If it's a garage queen you can can insure it for like $100/year with collector car insurance.

effutuo101
If your current insurance company won't give you a break after 3 years of good driving, I would consider dropping them all together. Go up the management ladder until you find somebody to say yes. If you business isn't good enough to say yes to a rather small reduction in fees, then go price shopping. Actually do it before you go up the chain. Progressive will quote you everybody's rate. See if the $ you save is worth staying with your current insurance. Good luck Toast.
Chris
P.S. As far as I am concerned insurance company policy is to sheeplove.gif the consumer.
Toast
The 914 is a daily driver. My other vehicle is a 1986 toyota 4x4. The toyota doesn't get driven much except during winter (a whooping 3 months) Both have alot of miles. Both are old.
Other than the amount of miles driven per year plus the minimal extra coverage I request (30/60 plus uninsured), I don't see why coverage would be expensive. (Currently paying $1,000 + annually).
Reason I am with AAA is for the tow's. Let's face it, these are not the most reliable vehicles on the market. ph34r.gif
Michael N
Safeco for insurance.

AAA for roadside assistance. You can buy it separate.
effutuo101
My aunt lives right down the road from you. In Arrowhead. I miss the drive down from Green valley lake or down to the flatts. But, I have to agree, get the tow insurance seperate and go with the best price. My insurance is through Geico and runs about 500 a year. They have gone to bat for me a couple of times. Problem in your area is that there are drivers that qualify for reduced insurance. If one of them hits you Good luck. Their insurance company will drag thier feet for months. I get hit in my Jetta and we actually had to file a law suit for them to even return my adjusters calls. No fun dead horse.gif
Take care!
VegasRacer
I had 21st Century for several years. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.