Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-Jet & aftermarket Ignition (dizzy, coil or MSD/CDI) ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I see no reason for an aftermarket distributor such as a Mallory or MSD not being able to work with the L-Jet, my biggest concern is whether or not a CDI such from MSD or Mallory would cause issues.....

I know the L-Jet is the step-child FI of the 914 world, but I thougth someone might have played with it at one time with good results smash.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 5 2006, 12:20 AM) *

I see no reason for an aftermarket distributor such as a Mallory or MSD not being able to work with the L-Jet, my biggest concern is whether or not a CDI such from MSD or Mallory would cause issues.....

I know the L-Jet is the step-child FI of the 914 world, but I thougth someone might have played with it at one time with good results smash.gif

BTDT....

The problem with using MSD on the L-jet is the signal that goes back to the FI from the coil. THe MSD confuses the computer, making it think that the engine is running way too high of RPM. The solution is to use the tach output of the MSD to run the FI and the tach.

Other than that, it works fine.
bd1308
so you got the package?

b
Bleyseng
After rebuilding the Westy 2.0L with the Ljet, I really don't see why more don't use it on 914's. Throttle response is good, and the motor runs nice.

I have always thought the 1.8's were underpowered, but a good starting point to make into a 2056!

Adjusting the AFM is pretty easy using a LM1 meter to recalibrate the AFR on the Westy due to a cam change. Same would be true on a 914.
Mueller
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 5 2006, 01:15 AM) *

BTDT....

The problem with using MSD on the L-jet is the signal that goes back to the FI from the coil. THe MSD confuses the computer, making it think that the engine is running way too high of RPM. The solution is to use the tach output of the MSD to run the FI and the tach.

Other than that, it works fine.

thanks Clay, I had you in mind when I posted the question smile.gif

the multispark of the MSD is what worried me, I forgot about the tach output....

Britt, no package yet, just doing a little bit of planning smile.gif

Geoff, I too like the L-jet, I've had it on a stock 1.8, a 1911 and a 2.0 with higher compression and thought it was a great system. Only problems I had was with the dual relay, bought a new one and fixed the problem.

I'm keeping my Link FI for a future engine build....

Bleyseng
The best part about Ljet is the lack of the MPS!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif

The worst part is the AFM's are pricey! sad.gif

I haven't compared the 1.8L 914 ones to a 2.0L bus one but I wonder about the differences? Does the bus one have a bigger diameter? ie more airflow?

nope, I checked part numbers and the bus ones are the same part number with a "A or B" on sale for a $149 rebuilt.

But the 2.0L TB is larger than the 1.8 TB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.