Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914gem
I would like to run vented rotors on the rear of my 914 5 lug. I think Porsche sold spacers to go between the caliper halves to make them wider for vented rotors. I would like to keep the E brake caliper set up that came the 914. Are these spacers something I can buy or will I have to go to a machine shop and have them built.
echocanyons
Brant a short time back had this setup for sale Im not sure if he sold it or not.

as far as the spacers go I am of zero help cuz I dont know
Brad Roberts
914gem,

This will *sound* really bad and I know your a new person to this list (just forwarning you) but dont read this in a negative tone.

Do you know why you want rear vented rotors ?? Is this a V8 conversion car ??

I have done cars both ways and tested rotor temps in race situations with a digital pyrometer.

Its cheaper and easier on you to just run the 9146 rear solid rotors with stock 914/4 rear calipers IF you dont plan on racing the car. If its *just* a looks issue (look...I have rear vented rotors) then I'm sure we can track some down for you.

I say the above, because many people dont know they can run stock 9146 rotors with stock 4cyl rear calipers.

B
914Timo
I have vented rear rotors, but only because our inspection require them with big six (3.0L). I havent race with it, but my experience is that in street car there is no use of them like Brad said. Of course they look cool..... biggrin.gif

But, if you want or need them, I think I have heard that you can use spacers from old vented 911 front calipers. Not sure, but I think so... cool_shades.gif
brant
Hi there,

here is my take on the space issue.
First, I agree that they are not really necessary for anything but a full track car... However they can look cool..

I've ran rear vented breaks in 2 different configurations:
1) with stock rear 914 calipes (with e-brake) I machined my own spacers and then had my machine shop drill the square shouldered o-ring hole, and square the surfaces.
buy a set of 911 vented callipers and steal the longer bolts and hardware.

2) I also ran a set of 914 front calipers moved to the back and vented. Again, buy a set of core 911 early calipers and split them. Steal the bolts, and hardware, and spacers from them.

Either way is a lot of work. I sold mine. I know a local guy that might have a set available, if your serious.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.