Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Bore Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Learn Me blink.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 5 2006, 09:15 AM) *

Learn Me blink.gif

Jake's site lists diff combos that work. I'm assuming that b/c he's tried tons of combos the ones he lists are the ones that work and the other combos don't work. But you know what happens when we assume things...

Anyway, shoptalkforums is a great place for type4 engine info as well.

-pt
bd1308
Yeah but he charges a premium for that as well.

I'm just wanting to build a 100k mile 2.2L or something, just a little warm engine to drive daily.

I'm not intrested in a 1500k mile engine that withstands 1500F degree head temps.

b
Jake Raby
Make sure to listen to my radio show this week- I will be going over this very thing and doing so 914 specific.

there is also a lot to be learned in the searc functions here and on the STF.

The one thing you must remember is that size is not where the TIV makes it's power- the combination of all things pertaining to the engine is the key.

Also the 914 is a heavy car, it needs torque- torque doesn't come from huge bore sizes with nominal strokes with these engines.
Mark Henry
Stroking it is way better than big bores. True on both the T1 and 4.
Joe Ricard
Stroking is good for all engines
Well, except F1

Hey I'm working on a lighter 914 too.

Britt, I still don't know what you REALLY want. I bet if you would ever come down and drive my car you would know THIS is what you want and really need. 29 MPG and goes like hell.
BMXerror
914 is a heavy car!?! blink.gif okay?
Mark D.
JPB
There are alot of things that makes the car heavy which can be modified or replaced and thats a relative term which probably implies the latest in materials and designs. I'm starting to hate the word relative.

beer.gif HP to weight is all relative.
Jake Raby
Compare it to a beetle at 1700 pounds and its very heavy. This makes the importance of stroke and big grunt down low more noted.

We worry aboput power numbers from 2K to 4500 more than anything else.
anthony
Compared to a 1600lb bug it's heavy. It's all relative.

I think the easiest engine to do on the cheap is the 1911. A 2056 with chinese cylinders and lots of stock parts can also be done inexpensively if you have the core or you buy 2.0L crank and rods. The bigger engines obviously get more expensive because you need a stroker crank and rods and maybe special pistons.

When you research this stuff you'll find that all facets of the engine contribute to power gains. Look at the work Jake is doing with the LE heads, the power gains from using a tangerine header, the split duration cams, and going to EFI.

If you've got more time and brain power than money, using a non stock cam on any of the above engines and megasquirt will probably unlock lots of hp for any given engine.
Jake Raby
with the LE heads we are now working to make a 150HP 2056 with street CR to run on pump gas. This has never been a capability before.

The other extreme is my roller cams and lifters, with these employed on a 2056 its a sure thing to make 150 reliable HP from 2056cc
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 5 2006, 06:26 AM) *

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 5 2006, 09:15 AM) *

Learn Me blink.gif

Anyway, shoptalkforums is a great place for type4 engine info as well.

-pt

agree.gif the shop talk forum is lower traffic and less fun than here, but if you want to learn about engine mods, especially those from jake and friends, that is the place. Big bore sounds cool to your friends, but in reality, I've been wooped at the AX by a 1700cc stroker in a 912. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.