Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SMOG HEAD Tube blocking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Have the car running. But need some permanent way to block off the air input tubes for these smog heads. Anyboby have some method that works and is simple. Went to Tacoma screw and they had nothing in the right size to repace the tubes completely with some kind of long bolt.
Thanks,
Tom
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 5 2006, 07:35 AM) *

Have the car running. But need some permanent way to block off the air input tubes for these smog heads. Anyboby have some method that works and is simple. Went to Tacoma screw and they had nothing in the right size to repace the tubes completely with some kind of long bolt.
Thanks,
Tom

The slickest way I've seen is what Mike Mueller used on the '76 engine I bought from him. Assuming you still have the air-injection fittings installed (I believe they are 1/8" pipe-threads), locate ball bearings that fit the flared openings where the air-distribution rails connect to them, then get ordinary water pipe caps to cover them.

Seals up nicely.

BTW, I'm always looking for '75/'76 emissions equipment if you want to unload some of that unused gear. Air pumps, EGR/ EGR tubing, air distribution manifolds, etc.

Thanks

Cap'n Krusty
The shoulder on the tube is the sealing surface, and any bolt you get isn't gonna have that "ring" on the shaft. IMO, the best way to seal it is to cap the tube with a cap nut. The next best way would be to braze or weld the upper end closed. The Cap'n
SLITS
3/8" pipe caps on top of the injection tubes ... screw right on ....I did mine that way as a temporary way to drive the car.

Looks funky,but it works.
Tom
Thanks for the reply's,
Brian - the air pump has bad bearings , the other stuff I plan on keeping in case our state goes smog crazy. If I change my mind , I will contact you.
Cap'n , Slits - is this pipe cap just a standard cap from the hardware store? This sounds like the easy way to go.
Thanks,
Tom
SLITS
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 5 2006, 08:27 AM) *

Thanks for the reply's,
Brian - the air pump has bad bearings , the other stuff I plan on keeping in case our state goes smog crazy. If I change my mind , I will contact you.
Cap'n , Slits - is this pipe cap just a standard cap from the hardware store? This sounds like the easy way to go.
Thanks,
Tom

Yep....cheap galvanized pipe caps....I can shoot an image later.
Cap'n Krusty
While 3/8" NPT caps may work, they're not the right thread. The Cap'n
Brian Mifsud
Use Bronze or Brass Pipe caps. The threads are close enough, and the brass/bronze will not screw up the steel threads on the Air Injector nozzles if there is any thread interference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.