Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: back fire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
as shortly after letting off gas - bang bang bang ?

We just installed a 1.8 with single carb and 050 distributor.

Carb and dist appear to be working fine.

What are the odds that the problem is due to valves needing adjustment as this is what we are gonna try next.

tyler
I always thouht the only cause of this could be timing but now I'm a believer that it's always more likely too much fuel that explodes in the tailpipes. My 350 did exactly what yours is doing after carb rebuid. Since the carbs were only supposed to have been cleaned and adjusted (and they seemed to be running lean), I went after the timing and valve adjustment, all to no avail. Later I found out the carb guy had put in bigger jets and didn't tell anyone. Put the old jets back in without touching anything esle and the backfire disappeared.
For what it's worth.

=================================
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 5 2006, 08:58 AM) *

as shortly after letting off gas - bang bang bang ?

We just installed a 1.8 with single carb and 050 distributor.

Carb and dist appear to be working fine.

What are the odds that the problem is due to valves needing adjustment as this is what we are gonna try next.

ptravnic
Mine did this b/c I was running it too lean...

smdubovsky
If its in the exhaust, then you have an air leak in the exhaust. If its poping out of the carbs/intake Id bet its too lean (which is usually caused by a vacuum leak if the carbs are jetted even close to correct). Both my TWMs and Webers will pop in the intakes on the /6s when too lean (and BOTH are due to vacuum leaks).

Best,
SMD
ptravnic
My lean situation was due to a misadjussted FI system and poor engine build (too high of a CR). Both were completely my fault. O well, I'm in the process of rebuilding it now and will not make the same mistake(s) twice!

-pt
jimkelly
muffler is now on and back fire is gone - hum - simple solution : )

PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 6 2006, 09:15 PM) *

muffler is now on and back fire is gone - hum - simple solution : )

Gee, you left that 'lil' tidbit out rolleyes.gif no wonder it popped. spank.gif
jimkelly
hey - if I told you guys all the facts - I would not get such great replies : )

Thanks

Jim
PORobinSCHE
that's why i come here!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.