Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Single variable formula solver, free download
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Upon occasion I have the need...THE NEED FOR SPEED!...oops, sorry got carried away drunk.gif Seriously, I'll come across a formula (like right now I'm researching turbos) and need to solve for one of the variables, typically the one that's on the wrong side of the equal sign. Excel does have a function, Goal Seek, that allows one to solve for an unknown but it's not necessarily easy to use. What I did was put a 'wrapper' around it to make it much more user friendly. I based it on a similar application I use on my PDA but my application doesn't require registration -- it's 100% FREE.

Disclaimer: This isn't something a 3 year-old could use right away. It's meant for people who have some education about problem solving and unknown variables. If you've graduated high school (or are about to) then you've got enough education wink.gif The instructions should provide adequate direction along with the workbook.

Instructions:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/Better_Goal_Seeker.doc

Sample workbook:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/Better_Goal_Seeker.xls
BTW, the examples in the workbook can be deleted without affecting anything. Formulas can be added and deleted at will. It's just your standard, ordinary Excel workbook. The only thing different about it is that there's a macro in it to help one solve for an unknown variable within an equation. As you can see, you can have multiple formulas on a sheet, even on other sheets. Enjoy!
John
You are of course joking, RIGHT????

One variable?

That should be 8th grade math (or less).

It's simple algebra. You don't need a spreadsheet for that, just re-arrange the formula.

(also 100% free or you should get a rebate for your education)
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

now multi var could be handy LOL
KaptKaos
So what time does that train reach Chicago?

Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Sep 5 2006, 01:21 PM) *

You are of course joking, RIGHT????

One variable?

That should be 8th grade math (or less).

It's simple algebra. You don't need a spreadsheet for that, just re-arrange the formula.

(also 100% free or you should get a rebate for your education)

You are correct, it is easy for most people. Some people have difficulty when the equation is not so direct, like X+(X*i)=Y+S or if the particular variable may be different the next time around. Of course, larger and more complex equations can be used. And the results from the formula can then be used else where within the workbook.

Like most computer programs it's used to speed up the process wink.gif This is just a simple utility.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 5 2006, 01:23 PM) *

agree.gif

now multi var could be handy LOL

In Excel, select the main menu item "Tools", then select "Scenarios...". See Help for figuring this stuff out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.