Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Recommendation?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
moulckers
I'm looking for another set of wheels to AX my stock 70 914-6 (SCCA BS). I have a set of Falken Azenis (RT-615) on 6 X 15 Fuchs but the grip is horrible compared to the Kumho V710s on Panasports (6 X 15) we run on our 74 914-4 (SCCA DSP).

My question is, since I'm looking to run B-stock and need to stick with a production wheel size, which of the following do people recommend - 5.5 X 14 or 6 X 15? Obviously, the wider the better but I'm sure 205's will fit both the 5.5 and 6" rims. The Kumho V710s are quite a bit cheaper in the smaller diameter (~$25/tire) but I imagine I'll go through them quicker.

I've not found much debate on the subject so I'm hoping someone's been down this same road.

Thanks,
Mike Moulckers
Cypress, TX
ConeDodger
QUOTE(moulckers @ Sep 5 2006, 12:19 PM) *

I'm looking for another set of wheels to AX my stock 70 914-6 (SCCA BS). I have a set of Falken Azenis (RT-615) on 6 X 15 Fuchs but the grip is horrible compared to the Kumho V710s on Panasports (6 X 15) we run on our 74 914-4 (SCCA DSP).

My question is, since I'm looking to run B-stock and need to stick with a production wheel size, which of the following do people recommend - 5.5 X 14 or 6 X 15? Obviously, the wider the better but I'm sure 205's will fit both the 5.5 and 6" rims. The Kumho V710s are quite a bit cheaper in the smaller diameter (~$25/tire) but I imagine I'll go through them quicker.

I've not found much debate on the subject so I'm hoping someone's been down this same road.

Thanks,
Mike Moulckers
Cypress, TX

Hi Mike,

Just an observation... You are comparing apples and oranges. I have a six and a four. I have Yokohama A032S tires on the four but because my six is a conversion which still has four lug I can run them on the six. On the four the tires are amazing. On the six they are totally overwhelmed...

A second observation... I own a set of Falken Azenis. They are on my 240Z. They do not like heat. They are not a good autocross tire without cooling them with water between runs. They would be a terrible track tire.

Wider Fuchs and stickier tires would be my recommendation. My next set of tires will be Kumhos...
jhadler
You want to stay in Stock, okay. So you have to stay with the factory supplied wheel sizes. I don't recall what size wheels were factory supplied with the 6's, but it sounds like your choices are 5.5x14 or 6x15. If that's the case, definitely the 6x15.

Now, you don't say anything about whether or not you want to try to be competitive. Which, by the way, in B-Stock (with a stock 914-6) is a TALL order. If you just want to have fun on a budget, use the Falkens or maybe some Toyo RA-1's. If you want to try and get the most out of the car that you can, run either the Kumho or the Hoosier in a 205/50-15. They should fit under the rears okay if the wheel dimensions are good. Front's not a worry. You're allowed to deviate 1/4" offset from factory specs, but that's it (this includes the use of spacers).

Yes, the Falken's don't like heat. If you want to run them, get a small garden sprayer, fill it with water, and spray down the tires between runs. I'm not kidding, it will make a big difference with the Falkens.

As for a 2.0L six overwhelming a race tire (or street tire)? I doubt it. They only put out around 20% more power than a 2.0L four, and that's really not that much for a good 205 tire to have to deal with... If the tires are getting eaten up, then there's something else going on (possibly a loose steering nut...).

-Josh2
J P Stein
Robby:
I AXed your car once on Jim's 205 Vracers....you didn't get those?
The car was pretty well ballanced but coulda used more tiar.....who couldn't? biggrin.gif
Without flaring the fenders, your stuck with 205s or 215s (iffy fitment).
Robbies is a 2.7L, BTW.

205 710s would be good for a stock sixer tho most serious SCCA BSer are gonna be running a lot more tire. Remember, these tires like a lot of negative camber.

SCCAs classing sux in a lot of ways and 914s get the short end of the stick in most all of their classes.
jhadler
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 5 2006, 01:12 PM) *

205 710s would be good for a stock sixer tho most serious SCCA BSer are gonna be running a lot more tire. Remember, these tires like a lot of negative camber.

I think what JP meant was that all of the other cars in the class are able to run more tire than a 914 with stock fenders. Is that right JP?

SCCAs classing sux in a lot of ways and 914s get the short end of the stick in most all of their classes.

Yeah, the 914 is overclassed pretty harshly in SCCA. DSP isn't so bad though...

-Josh2
moulckers
Thanks everyone but no one's really addressing the diameter question. If I'm able to run the same width tire (205) on a 5.5X14 or a 6X15 rim, which do you recommend?

I know I'm outclassed in SCCA BS but I'm too old to be doing donuts out there every lap. What I'm really wanting to do is compete with my son's times in DSP, something I'm not doing now. The reality is I'd have to get rid of the electronic ignition and drilled front rotors to be legal!

As for tire choices, we're pretty sold on Kumho V710s. We've even got the hats and bumper stickers!

Remember this is Houston, cooling tires is a religion down here. Our PCA AX events are 50% BMW, 49% other (Miata), and 1% Porsche. Even the PCA AX Chair drives a Miata. Yes, SCCA classes aren't very kind to 914's but, until this last Sunday, my son and I were the only DSP entries. We just hope that guy driving the 240SX doesn't invest in some V710s!

Thanks,
Mike
jhadler
Sorry Mike, I guess I wasn't super clear. Run the 15x6's. The tire choices in 14's will have taller sidewalls, and won't be as responsive.

15x6 with 205/50-15's. It's -possible- that a 225/45 (or 50) -15 MIGHT fit in back on a 6" wheel, but that wheel better be JUST right.

And I would still expect a DSP 914 to turn quicker times than a BS 914-6. It's the nature of the classes. SP allows a whole lot of suspension work, where Stock does not. And SP cars can flare... Bigger tahrs r gud...

-Josh2
Trekkor
I am running the 710's on 5.5"s right now and they work great.
My other set are on modified steelies that have been worked to 7". Much better.

Set the psi to 26-28 cold and reset to that psi before every run.
This is more important than what rim width you run, IMO.
They get hot, but not hot enough for me to spray them.

What rim is 6x15, the stock 2.0 Fuch's?

KT
J P Stein
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 5 2006, 05:42 PM) *

I am running the 710's on 5.5"s right now and they work great.
My other set are on modified steelies that have been worked to 7". Much better.
KT

Lessee......we have "great" and "much better". Is "great" actually not so great or is "much better" super fantastic?

Yes, Josh, 205 X 15 on 6 X 15s.....I also coulda been more clear other guys in other types of car are gonna have more tiar.
moulckers
Trekkor,

Are your 5.5's 14" or 15" wheels? Yes, the 6X15 are stock (late-70's) Fuchs. I've followed your previous posts on air pressure and I concur fully. We typically keep the fronts at 26 psi and the rears at 29 psi throughout the race. We've tried higher pressures (talked to too many Mini racers!) but we've found the car sticks best at the lower pressures.

Josh,

What you recommended about the sidewalls for the 14's makes sense. The lowest profile available is a 55 for a 14" rim whereas it's a 50 for 15". I might still go with a set of 5.5X14 Fuchs - I see them routinely for ~$150/wheel whereas the 6X15's seem to be climbing. Saving $25/tire is swaying me, too.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

Mike
Trekkor
All my rims are 15" and when I put another set of 710's on another set of 7"s for a/x only, it will be "super fantastic"...froggy.gif

KT
jhadler
I think the cost savings by going to the 14's is counterproductive. You will get MUCH better performance with /50 series tires on 6" rims. That extra half inch of rim combined with the shorter sidewall of the 15" tire is a big deal.

And there's nothing that says you have to run the Fuchs. Just wheels that have the same dimensions. Even custom steel wheels are legal.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
The only problem I have with this whole thread is recommended tire pressures.

OMG 26 psi leaves my car almost un driveable. my 225/45-15 Hoosier A3S04 on 8" rims tolerated 30 PSI but I was faster with 34 - 36 PSI.

Temps were around 130 on cool days nearly even across the face.
over 60 runs on them before I sold them to someone else and they used them for several more events.
jhadler
Joe, you ran Hoosiers, and these folks are talking about the Kumho's. The two tires are not the same. And yes, the Hoosiers like higher pressures.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(jhadler @ Sep 6 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Joe, you ran Hoosiers, and these folks are talking about the Kumho's. The two tires are not the same. And yes, the Hoosiers like higher pressures.

-Josh2

yea wierd....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.