Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Moving Map display
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
This is really cool.

Its a mashup between the Rendezvous movie (Ferrari through the streets of Paris) and Google Maps to show where he is..

Ferrari mashup

You need to follow the instructions on the top left...hit play then pause to allow it to buffer. Then press play again and at four seconds hit the 'Go' button to start the map display.

It works really well!

Richard
Stuie
That's pretty wild!
Boojum
That's pretty neat. Someone had a lot of time in it to figure out which roads he went down.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
VaccaRabite
Man I love that little movie....

Zach
grantsfo
I forget what was the actual car used to film this clip?
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 6 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Ferrari 275 GTB
Hammy
According to IMDB , it was really the director driving a 6.9L Mercedes with the sounds of the Ferrari dubbed in later. Cool short, I loved it. smile.gif
Boojum
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 6 2006, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 6 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Ferrari 275 GTB

Yeah, that's what the story is, but some people say he drove his Mercedes something or other, dubbing the Ferrari music in afterwards, and that the car never went faster than 80 MPH or so. It makes sense, though, if you think about it. Invent a movie where you're driving a performance sedan through the city like crazy... But then you say that it was indeed a Ferrari, and that you weren't the one driving. Then they can't blame you for driving like a madman, right?

Anway, here's the wiki C'était un rendez-vous

If you watch, the rev sounds don't match the jolting of the car. YMMV.
bondo
With the map info it should be pretty easy to determine an average speed, right? It looks fast, but the camera also looks low to the ground.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hammy @ Sep 6 2006, 04:09 PM) *

According to IMDB , it was really the director driving a 6.9L Mercedes with the sounds of the Ferrari dubbed in later.

i *seriosuly* doubt one could dub in such a perfect match of revs and shifting etc. onto a video later ...

i watched it twice and i can't find any obvious errors in the sound compared to the driving ...

how would one go about *seamlessly* dubbing in the correct rev sound and shifting sounds over so many minutes in a continues video?

anywho, the map thing is pretty cool ...
smile.gif Andy
Hammy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 6 2006, 05:23 PM) *

According to IMDB , it was really the director driving a 6.9L Mercedes with the sounds of the Ferrari dubbed in later.

i *seriosuly* doubt one could dub in such a perfect match of revs and shifting etc. onto a video later ...

i watched it twice and i can't find any obvious errors in the sound compared to the driving ...

how would one go about *seamlessly* dubbing in the correct rev sound and shifting sounds over so many minutes in a continues video?

smile.gif Andy

then what about zis? http://www.geocities.com/oflint/Mercedes_not_Ferrari.jpg
it shows him mounting the 35mm camera. not saying it wasn't the Ferrari, as the picture and sound do look pretty believable together. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hammy @ Sep 6 2006, 05:36 PM) *

then what about zis? http://www.geocities.com/oflint/Mercedes_not_Ferrari.jpg
it shows him mounting the 35mm camera. not saying it wasn't the Ferrari, as the picture and sound do look pretty believable together. confused24.gif

uhm, isn't he a filmmaker? one would think he might have mounted a camera to a car more than once in his life ...
rolleyes.gif

does that picture look like it was taken at 3am?
cool_shades.gif Andy
Midtowner

smile.gif Andy

I agree. I've never believed the Mercedes part of the story. Watch closely and you will see that the aborts on a right hand turn. It's because the street was a dead end! I've always wondered why. Outstanding mashup! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Boojum
If you read His story released back a while ago, he says himeslf that three of them rode in a 6.9L Mercedes during the sequence.

If there's a anyone with French skills better than mine (arguably quite horrible), it would be neat to get some highlights from that page.

grantsfo

smile.gif Andy

LOL! The revs arent even close and you can hear spliced 5th gear runs on a couple long straights, not to mention 6 gears if you follow one shift sequence in the middle of the film. Gotta love those close to 90 degree turns all out in 5th gear with a split second coast and then down shifting. That must have been a 275 fitted with those new space age brakes biggrin.gif He used a lot of those clumsy shift sequences to splice tracks as well.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 6 2006, 08:16 PM) *

smile.gif Andy

LOL! The revs arent even close and you can hear spliced 5th gear runs on a couple long straights, not to mention 6 gears if you follow one shift sequence in the middle of the film. Gotta love those close to 90 degree turns all out in 5th gear with a split second coast and then down shifting. That must have been a 275 fitted with those new space age brakes biggrin.gif He used a lot of those clumsy shift sequences to splice tracks as well.

agree.gif
SirAndy

i dis-agree, but knowing you, that will only earn me more "i know everything better than you" comments, so i just shut up and bow to the master of performance driving, formerly known as "Grant" ...

i am not worthy! smiley_notworthy.gif
Hammy
geez, don't fight about it guys rolleyes.gif
i think we're missing the point of the film... about a guy flying across town, breaking every traffic law in the book just to spend some time with his girl. I know the feeling. iddn't dat sweet smile.gif grouphug.gif biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 6 2006, 08:32 PM) *

i dis-agree, but knowing you, that will only earn me more "i know everything better than you" comments, so i just shut up and bow to the master of performance driving, formerly known as "Grant" ...

i am not worthy! smiley_notworthy.gif

biggrin.gif Reality can be a fleeting state for some. I still say its the Millie Vanillie of dub jobs. Thanks for the driving compliment, but I still consider myself a mere grasshopper to most real masters of performance driving and everything 914 like you. smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
Sorry, Aaahndy, but I agree with Grant. When I first got a copy of Rendezvous, I watched it quite a few times with the sound pumped through my stereo. The sound was obviously (to my ear) dubbed in. The tire squeal did not seem to happen at the right times, nor did the shifting.

I hadn't heard the Mercedes bit, though. I'll have to check out the links above...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.