Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV powered Super V race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Last weekend a number of local 914 owners attended and participated in the St. John's Grand Prix

St. Johns is a small town in the NE corner of Arizona. Every Labor Day weekend, they close down the airport and open it up to DE and race events.

In the formula class there was a Super V running a Type IV that had been de-stroked to 1.6L. It had a low throaty grunt that sounded pretty good.

Anyone her run Super V? If so, did you use a Type IV?
gregrobbins
Here is Andy in Wild6 (white 3.6L monster), Tim in his quick orange car, and Bryan in his 2.2L six track car.
brant
a bunch of FSV's run in my vintage group...

they are smoking fast.
blow away most all of the other Formula cars. (blow away the fords)

in their hey day these were 200hp formula cars that weighed NOTHING!!!
very very fast

what is brian running now for a tranny by the way?
how did he do?

here are some FSV's from my vintage race 2 weeks ago:
gregrobbins
Bryan was running his 901 with limited slip I believe. He was having some jetting issues but got it cleared up by the end. Car looked to be handling well. He didn't race this weekend, just running in the fast DE group.

We got about 90 minutes or more track time each day for four days. Track was very good with fresh pavement. Good grip and not too hard on the tires.
bernbomb914
if they were legal SVs they did not have 200 hp. They would make 150 to 170 hp at best. I wrenched EFR's championship car in 1975 and Howdy Holmes in 1976.

Bernie Thomas
brant
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Sep 6 2006, 10:59 PM) *

if they were legal SVs they did not have 200 hp. They would make 150 to 170 hp at best. I wrenched EFR's championship car in 1975 and Howdy Holmes in 1976.

Bernie Thomas

I think my vintage group allows them to do a pretty big overbore... (2.0? maybe)
I'd have to check further. I had it in my head that some where that much HP, but could definitely be wrong on that....
they are still scarry fasts....

Bernie, what is the class weight in their day?

we had a guy this year that stuffed a T4 SV motor into his FV and ran exhibition.
wow.. that was fun to watch! He could literally light up the FV slicks at will. He was horsing around and left 30ft of rubber out of EVERY SINGLE CORNER on every single lap for fun.... talk about throttle steer on track out... wow...

Greg, is brian's car carbed then?
I thought for some reason he might have the AJRS custom electromotive F.I. on that puppy.....

Brian, you might want to consider the LC-1 WB... I couldn't believe how it helped with jetting at my last event.. think portable dyno!

brant
gregrobbins
Yes, the car is carbed. I know he is considering going to FI.

I understand the later SVs were running water cooled VW motors punching out close to 180 or more HP. I understand the progression was 1600cc, 1700cc, then to the water cooled motors.
brant
I think the water cooled cars were not called "super vee"

I can't remember exactly, but I thought they were called something else in their day..
bryanc
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 6 2006, 10:07 PM) *

Greg, is brian's car carbed then?
I thought for some reason he might have the AJRS custom electromotive F.I. on that puppy.....

Brian, you might want to consider the LC-1 WB... I couldn't believe how it helped with jetting at my last event.. think portable dyno!

brant

Yes it's carbed. Thanks for the recommendation on the O2 sensor. I have an O2 meter, but I think the sensor might have seen too much leaded gas in it's days, plus it has a digital readout that's kinda tough to see and even tougher to comprehend while moving. For now I'm going to concentrate on getting the carbs tuned just a little better. I think there is quite a bit to be gained there.

The tranny is a 901 w/LSD that Tom included as a spare. It needed a rebuild as the R&P was not meshed right and caused the pinion to get destroyed. It works great now--but I'll find out how well when I change the fluid. The LSD makes a huge difference.
brant
Brian,
cool on the tranny success.
yeah the LSD is a big difference.

I really am blown away with how nice the wide band is.
you should really consider it if you want to do lots of travel or jetting.
I had only used one, 1 time previously on a dyno and didn't take the time to pull plugs and really question things...

you wouldn't believe it.
when I took the time 2 weeks ago, to pull plugs I was actually running the car lean at that track but could not tell from plugs or exhaust tips.

the level of accuracy is unreal with the Wide Band

I ran a narrow band for 6 or so years on a carbed car and now realize I was only shooting in the dark before.
wow.. what a difference

I can't say enough about it...

pics:
Jake Raby
Supervee engines were based on the Type 4 industrial engine. The engines were no destroked, they had a smaller, industrial only bore size. These engines generated in the neighborhood of 170HP and were similarly prepared to the production engines we build today for SCCA due to rules.

The pic up top is not period correct, if it were it would not be using those pierce intakes and a set of webers, FSV engines used a VW part numbered intake manifold and solex 40mm carbs. Those intakes are costing him 6-8% of flow more than likely, due to their design.

That guys exhaust is killing his performance, no collector = no power-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.