Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT but important Need AOL and IP information
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Seems I might have pissed someone off. About the same time someone poped up in my aol list.

I'm searching right now but I just wanted to see if in fact I can trace them or they can trace me. I would feel better if I had there IP info.
Hammy
Confused by what you mean confused24.gif
You were chatting with someone through AOL and..
fiid
Having their IP info doesn't really tell you anything. The ISP isn't obliged to tell you about their customer without a court order and then often times (if he has a wireless network) you can't prove it wasn't him vs somone who was using his wireless access point without permission.

Just find out what the grevance is, try to address it - and/or block him/her on aol....

If the character is well out of line and won't resolve it with you ( resolution may not be exactly what you want - you might have to compromise ) - best thing you can do is out them in a public forum and let them deal with the judgement of the community. If it's you that's out of line tho - you ought to be prepared for that to backfire - and rightly so....

fiid
Oh yeah - it's possible to trace almost anyone. You most likely leave digital fingerprints ALL over the place - same is true for the other party.
Hammy
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 6 2006, 10:08 PM) *

Just find out what the grevance is, try to address it - and/or block him/her on aol....

agree.gif Just fuch em and block em, and do the "report to AOL" thing.
turboman808
I pissed off someone on a forum. They threatened me. Suddenly someone poped up on my aol. Could be unrelated but I would feel comfortable knowing this persons IP address if possible. So far I haven't found a way to do it but I really should just in case.
Rand
1. Just forget about it. It's nothing, it will pass. But it's a wake up call....
2. In the future, conduct yourself in forums as you would in person. If you act honorable, you won't have to worry about crap like this again.
fiid
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 6 2006, 10:34 PM) *

1. Just forget about it. It's nothing, it will pass. But it's a wake up call....
2. In the future, conduct yourself in forums as you would in person. If you act honorable, you won't have to worry about crap like this again.

agree.gif

The IP address he's using gives you no security at all - it's really a pretty useless peice of information.
turboman808
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 6 2006, 09:34 PM) *

I didn't say anything really bad. I just said the wrong thing to the wrong people.

Basicaly something like "maybe you shouldn't beat your wife"

But I got some information. So at least if I die I will have the persons IP address biggrin.gif

I have access to the one providers database. Unfortunately they are not on it.

I guess since I can find info on people it makes me nervous they can fin dit on me.
Rand
I would have to agree with your statement!!!! Sorry it got you into trouble. sad.gif

Fortunately for me, I don't frequent a bunch of forums where I would be tempted to jump into junk like that.

Around here, you could say that to a number of people and they would only reply with junk about goats and biotches. Haha. But it's all in fun.

When subject matter like that is truly serious, I would just log off. Sorry you got caught up in it.

But again, don't sweat it. IP addresses change all the time. I believe it will just go away if you leave it alone and forget it.
cbenitah
if you mean on your AIM, then I could add you too.. Since you have it posted here.. Just a thought. All I do is click on your "card"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.