Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EGR disconnecting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nerd
I have a '75 1.8 and the EGR system is starting to get a little tired (and I a little tired of it).
Has anyone here done a complete EGR disconnect on one of these cars and if so, how is it best approached?
If you could either post here or pm me with some information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Charles
type47
you can remove the parts that are screwed into the heads and replace with a plug of correct size, remove pump and belt. (what else is there?)... remove associated pieces. store in box for future emissions reinstall or for CA swap meet or swap meet in your state when they tighten up on the emissions inspections on antique cars.
Brian Mifsud
Hi Charles,

Remove Long tube from muffler to engine/transaxle sheetmetal "firewall".
Remove short tube from engine/transaxle sheetmetal "firewall" w/ EGR valve and associated tubing. You are left with hose running to intake manifold. If you search around (check out Home Depot or Lowes), you can find a cap to plug the hole in the intake manifold where the hose is currently connected. I'd clean the fittings and use some good glue to make sure the cap doesn't fall off (Silicone or RTV).

On the muffler side, fabricate a simple sheetmetal or thin plate (1/16" is fine) where you drill the holes to clear the 3mm bolts. You can seal it up if you save the gasket and reuse it. Not critical though if it leaks since its way in back of the car and won't get into the passenger compartment.

I stockpile EGR and other '75/'76 Emissions gear. Let me know if you want to unload all that stuff after you remove it.
MartyYeoman
Been there. Yanked it all.
Just be sure to plug any holes you create during removal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.