Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR Alameda AX#7 course map
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Here's the course map of Saturday's GGR AX#7. As long as it isn't turned into a mini representation of the course and they keep it spread, it looks like it could flow.

I hope they make this one long and use the real estate.

Bill P.

Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 7 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Here's the course map of Saturday's GGR AX#7. As long as it isn't turned into a mini representation of the course and they keep it spread, it looks like it could flow.

I hope they make this one long and use the real estate.

Bill P.

Didn't they tell you it was based upon the minimum width, i.e., 20'?

Just kidding.

There are almost 30 corners so anything that corners will have a huge advantage.

Some of the worker positions are unsafe.
DanT
I count at least 35 changes of direction....looks like a 914 course to me biggrin.gif
I don't think Fritz is going to like all of that turning stuff Bill. dry.gif biggrin.gif

As said, it all depends on how big they make it and how widely the slalom cones are spaced. The last one I attended at Marina (#5 IIRC) the cones on th slalom were wide enough I was taking them in 3rd gear flat to the floor all the way through. burnout.gif

Me likey slaloms smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 7 2006, 05:14 PM) *

I count at least 35 changes of direction....looks like a 914 course to me biggrin.gif
I don't think Fritz is going to like all of that turning stuff Bill. dry.gif biggrin.gif

As said, it all depends on how big they make it and how widely the slalom cones are spaced. The last one I attended at Marina (#5 IIRC) the cones on th slalom were wide enough I was taking them in 3rd gear flat to the floor all the way through. burnout.gif

Me likey slaloms smile.gif

Has to be 35 to 40 feet wide.... But then only the set up crew knows for sure. happy11.gif

I originally thought it was counter clockwise, but clockwise... Oh BOY!

But please someone change those dangerous worker positions (1/2/5/7).
Trekkor
chowtime.gif

Celebration starts now. mueba.gif

KT
grantsfo
Nice looks like a good 914 course. Wish there were fewer slalom cones - flow will be funky through the 4 cone slaloms.
Rough_Rider
Nice course, but i have to ask isn't this unfair for the folks who get to see the course in advance?

Randal
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Sep 7 2006, 06:29 PM) *

Nice course, but i have to ask isn't this unfair for the folks who get to see the course in advance?

There is no rule on this.

When I finish a course design and send it to the Autox chairs - I also feel free to publish the course.

Randal Barrick

Trekkor
isn't this unfair for the folks who get to see the course in advance?

914 secret society at work unsure.gif

Slalom is left, right, left entry me thinks.

Seeing the course map is always fun, I've shown all four of mine in advance.

But, really, you never even have a clue until you walk the thing in person.

This course, if layed out, lined and coned well should be one of the best we've ever seen. clap56.gif

And... When you hear me shift into third past worker station 4 and then heel/toe back into second at 2 on my new megaphones I'm expecting big cheers!! naughty.gif

KT
nine14cats
The course arrows say that it is counter clockwise. Also, the course has been posted on the GGR website, so it's fair game to anyone that wants it. I just happenned to post it here on the 914Club site.

Randal, since you're working tech, make sure it's wide enough for Fritz to get through full throttle! piratenanner.gif

Bill P.
DanT
My vote is for Right, right, left. blink.gif

I will be out kicking some cones out during setup....Bill Dally usually wants me to check specs and make sure we are safe from poles, fences, other cars, etc. smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 7 2006, 09:56 PM) *

I will be out kicking some cones out during setup....Bill Dally usually wants me to check specs and make sure we are safe from poles, fences, other cars, etc. smile.gif

I'm thinking the same right, right, left.
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 7 2006, 09:56 PM) *

And your job goes beyond that. You need to check for DSDing, making sure the course is wide enough.

right right left.
nine14cats
If the cones are truly staggered like the map, I'd probably say right, right, left. If they end up being straight in-line, I'll try it both ways and see.

Randal,

The course was designed by Paul Smith. I don't know who that is.

Bill P.
J P Stein
right,left,left.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 8 2006, 10:34 AM) *

right,left,left.

The middle one might well be left, but it will depend upon the final set up.

If there is enough room in the box the faster line might be a sweeper as opposed to taking the shortest distance. But the issue now is that the entrance is below 20', if you use the scale provided.

Have to SEE it first to tell.
DanT
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 8 2006, 11:39 AM) *

right,left,left.

If there is enough room in the box the faster line might be a sweeper as opposed to taking the shortest distance. But the issue now is that the entrance is below 20', if you use the scale provided.

BILL,
Paul Smith I believe drives either an SC or a Carrera vintage car.

Randal,

regardless of the scale of the drawing the minimum width of any straight is 20' and the inside radius of any corner must be a minimum of 25'. If the course is not set up correctly then it will need to be changed before runs start. That is why I walk the course as it is being set up, even if I am not on setup, so I can either let the folks know, or change it myself.
If it isn't to minimum specs then it should be protested... smile.gif before we start.

Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 8 2006, 11:55 AM) *

right,left,left.

BILL,
Paul Smith I believe drives either an SC or a Carrera vintage car.

Randal,

regardless of the scale of the drawing the minimum width of any straight is 20' and the inside radius of any corner must be a minimum of 25'. If the course is not set up correctly then it will need to be changed before runs start. That is why I walk the course as it is being set up, even if I am not on setup, so I can either let the folks know, or change it myself.
If it isn't to minimum specs then it should be protested... smile.gif before we start.

agree.gif

I also hope you'll be looking at those worker positions.
DanT
Here's my suggestion for course workers
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 8 2006, 03:04 PM) *

Yeah that looks safer
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 8 2006, 03:04 PM) *

That looks good Dan, although I'd move 1 another 50 feet West.

On the old map 1 was dangerous, from both ways, 2 was totally crazy, especially on that high speed section. Where you moved 3, 5 and 7 are also good.

Nice work.
DanT
Thanks, now to convince the powers that be. I'll talk to BillD tomorrow morning and let him know about a few things.
J P Stein

right,left,left.

True......all the exits are about the same except the 2nd which appears to require some heavy braking regardless of exit side. In fast, out slow there, me thinks.
Randal
I thought Adam's course was very well designed.

In reality the speed monitors (SM's) blink.gif got involved after it was set up to make major changes, i.e., the reason given being to slow it down.

When driving the right hand side in the AM I never saw the shift light (set at 6K), so we weren't going over 70mph; of course I was off the course more than on.

Good thing we changed those worker positions Dan. smilie_pokal.gif

In the PM session Bill and I decided to just get around without any fanfare, given the condition of the tires, but (highlight) coming back towards the finish line I did shift into third so we were making a little speed before the "JOG" that was put in to slow everyone down.

That was a really beautiful straight before the SM's changed it. It would have been fun to run.....

My major concern is that the Corvette guys who were out there testing Alameda will secure the venue then run courses that are way faster than safe.

DanT
My concern is that we will have more competition for the site. This is what happened with our GGR TT series. We used to be one of only a very few clubs using big tracks. Now those groups are a dime a dozen.
I don't want to see the same thing happen to our AX sites. Marina and Alameda are great sites and Marina already has quite a bit of pressure for dates from many clubs.
Don't want to see the same happen at Alameda. Hopefully we will still get to pick our dates since we were among the first.

From what I saw the Vette club will run a straight down to the end, then slowly make a 180 and then a straight back to the finish line chairfall.gif blink.gif
They should have sent some guys that could drive those "plastic fantastics" smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 11 2006, 05:17 PM) *

My concern is that we will have more competition for the site. This is what happened with our GGR TT series. We used to be one of only a very few clubs using big tracks. Now those groups are a dime a dozen.
I don't want to see the same thing happen to our AX sites. Marina and Alameda are great sites and Marina already has quite a bit of pressure for dates from many clubs.
Don't want to see the same happen at Alameda. Hopefully we will still get to pick our dates since we were among the first.

From what I saw the Vette club will run a straight down to the end, then slowly make a 180 and then a straight back to the finish line chairfall.gif blink.gif
They should have sent some guys that could drive those "plastic fantastics" smile.gif

Given how narrow and tight the course was I can understand why the Vettes had a hard time. A few corners had me groaning to get the car turned I can only imagine what a big long Vette felt like in those tight corners. Those Vette guys got full treat to a typical Alameda course.
DanT
Gee Grant, I did not feel the course was all that tight or narrow this time...
Now compared to what LPR does at Marina then you might consider it tight & narrow. But compared to a couple of the last GGR courses, I thought this one was a definite improvement in that area. But maybe it is just my narrow car smile.gif

your car sure looks good on course....sounds good up in the revs too biggrin.gif
Trekkor
[qoute]Slalom is left, right, left entry me thinks.[/quote]

This was the fastest way for me.

What did you guys find?

KT
Trekkor
The only two tight spots that gave me trouble were the turn right before the start and the second slolam entry out of the hairpin turnaround.
Other than that, "hey, hey"!!

KT

DanT
[quote name='trekkor' date='Sep 11 2006, 05:53 PM' post='769283']
[qoute]Slalom is left, right, left entry me thinks.[/quote]

This was the fastest way for me.

What did you guys find?

KT
[/quote]

I finally went left, left, left and that was my fastest time.
for some reason I had a tough time getting a read on that course. Took my about 5 runs just to feel comfortable for some reason.... confused24.gif
Anyway, once I got it memorized then it flowed pretty nice. I was in 3rd gear going into the first slalom, downshift to second coming into the hairpin, through second slalom back into 3rd half way through 3rd slalom all the way until the last left hander before the finish....worked pretty well. smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 11 2006, 05:56 PM) *

The only two tight spots that gave me trouble were the turn right before the start and the second slolam entry out of the hairpin turnaround.
Other than that, "hey, hey"!!

KT

Left, right, left was the fast way for me. Very different than the map.

I didn't think the course was tight - other than the hairpin which you had to be watching through your drivers window or you didn't make the turn in Bill's car. Those last two cones out of the box on the right would get you every time.

Our issue wasn't a tight course, it was tired tieess.

Oh and that damn pesky cone at the first right following the start that I kept hitting. I think Bill's car is two feet wider than mine. blink.gif

And as to Dan's comments about the Corvette Club - agree.gif

The problem is that they will run it exactly like you said until someone goes off at high speed and blips a CW. ohmy.gif

Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 11 2006, 05:31 PM) *

Given how narrow and tight the course was I can understand why the Vettes had a hard time. A few corners had me groaning to get the car turned I can only imagine what a big long Vette felt like in those tight corners. Those Vette guys got full treat to a typical Alameda course.

BTW Grant, that little blue bomber of your really scoots and no question it handles.

Nice job on the build.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 11 2006, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 11 2006, 05:31 PM) *

BTW Grant, that little blue bomber of your really scoots and no question it handles.

Nice job on the build.

Thanks again for the tips on your ride along with me. I have been fairly surprised at how well the car moves too! I just need to work on the most important component now, my driving.
Trekkor
Ah-ha, "the nut behind the wheel"? chairfall.gif

I heard and tried left,left,left.
It was just to hard for me to give up speed out of the hairpin to make that second slalom entry left.
Letting the car drift right and entering right was more natural for me and yielded the better time.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 11 2006, 09:47 PM) *

Ah-ha, "the nut behind the wheel"? chairfall.gif

I heard and tried left,left,left.
It was just to hard for me to give up speed out of the hairpin to make that second slalom entry left.
Letting the car drift right and entering right was more natural for me and yielded the better time.

KT

Hairpin is right. Who ever set it up didn't follow the map. There were two or three cones plated at 90 degrees to the exit (right side) that resulted in a huge left as opposed to a straight exit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.