Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Wheel Paint Color Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
frankc
Hi,

I saw these NOS wheels on ebay. I was wondering if anyone has the paint color code (mixed or rattle can) for the original steel wheels. I have a silver that is close (bought from Stoddards for my 68 912). Perhaps a Wurth paint?

Mine are tired and need to be refreshed. Also - I have trim rings on these wheels - was that a factory option?

I searched, but could not find any previous topic.

Thanks,

Frank

914runnow
QUOTE(frankc @ Sep 8 2006, 09:49 AM) *

Hi,

I saw these NOS wheels on ebay. I was wondering if anyone has the paint color code (mixed or rattle can) for the original steel wheels. I have a silver that is close (bought from Stoddards for my 68 912). Perhaps a Wurth paint?

Mine are tired and need to be refreshed. Also - I have trim rings on these wheels - was that a factory option?

I searched, but could not find any previous topic.

Thanks,

Frank

Guess I'll be first in......
I saw those wheels too!! New from Porsche is about 178.00 ea...Really!
As far as the silver color...I thought about those for my 75..
BUT for 125.00 can have a set powdercoated pretty much dead on..
150.00 total if I want clear powdercoat applied on top of..
Rattle cans do not have the consistency ..
Tried with poor results..and the rim color is somewhat 'toned down'..
on the stock wheel..as the rattle cans appear more vibrant...those are the et40's
which are the 914 OEM
proper wheels...the VW's have a deeper offset to them....if you are concouring..
then the pair on ebay is a great start!! If not..get em powdercoated.. to your
desire...
Porsche Rescue
Wurth has (had) a metallic silver lacquer that is as close to the OE color as you will find. They were not making it a couple of years ago. I bought another brand "1z Silber Spray" which is also German. I was told it is made by the same maker as the Wurth product. I could not tell the difference. Can't remember where I got it, Pelican Parts maybe.
Wurth recommended using their primer, silver lacquer topped with their clear for an OE look for all German steel wheels (BMW, Porsche etc).

I like trim rings on the late steel OE "sport" wheels but they are not factory. They look great with the factory black plastic lug bolt covers and black center caps.
Pat Garvey
About 15 years ago I had mine shell blasted & refinished with a Glasurit paint (supposedly a factory match) by a Porsche shop in Cincinnati. They did great work & the paint is still perfect. If anything, the finish may be too glossy, but it's never been polished - only waxed every couple of years. As I recall, the price then was about $100 & worth every penny. I'll dig through my records for the paint number.
biggrin.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 12 2006, 03:29 PM) *

About 15 years ago I had mine shell blasted & refinished with a Glasurit paint (supposedly a factory match) by a Porsche shop in Cincinnati. They did great work & the paint is still perfect. If anything, the finish may be too glossy, but it's never been polished - only waxed every couple of years. As I recall, the price then was about $100 & worth every penny. I'll dig through my records for the paint number.
biggrin.gif

Wow they look great.......
But our wheels on 914's..Steel types..that is
Were not clear coated .....just shot with stock silver..
BUT I do love the clear on your's..
Gives it the .proper, look..
OHHHHHHH here is one to ask YOU!!
was the back of your wheel black,
and the center portion of the outside ,originally that way???
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 13 2006, 12:16 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I've seen both black and silver on the backside - mine were silver & kept that way. Remeber, the early years were transitory. However, the center (lug nut) area should be "dusted" with flat black - hidden byt my street "356 type" hubcaps.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 13 2006, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 13 2006, 12:16 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I've seen both black and silver on the backside - mine were silver & kept that way. Remeber, the early years were transitory. However, the center (lug nut) area should be "dusted" with flat black - hidden byt my street "356 type" hubcaps.

Thanx for the info..All of my early parts cars were a mixed bag too!!
Hard to tell if someone just shot straight silver at some point..
OR was the factory doing both??MY OEM Spare from 72 is the black
on the inside and lug nut area.. and silver only on the outer 'showing' portion..
skota23
Digging up an old thread here. huh.gif

I'm finding what looks like two different Wurth Silver wheel paints being offered.

Theres the stuff on Stoddard for $47 400ml and another at Auto Atlanta for $28 12oz. The folks at Wurth USA can't tell if they are different so any advise would be appreciated.
confused24.gif

I'm also curious if Dupicolor or Rustolium have good matches for the stock steel silver.

Thank you,
Steve
914rrr
I recently picked up some rattle can paint at Home Depot that I thought might be close. Glidden Max-Flex in "Shining Armor Satin". It turns out to be a pretty good match for the factory finish, dries really fast if you use light coats and it covers like crazy. I only used 1 can for 4 wheels! Pic is of OG finish and painted wheel for comparison.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.